The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 AM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default how do you know spring has arrived on my street?

How do you know when spring has truly arrived on Lake Shore Drive?

We have a old dead end street that runs behind the house. In many decades gone by, this used to be a lake side campground, and that old trail used to run to the lake house cottages. Since then, a beautiful road has gone in the front side, and yet, many locals refuse to give up the right to run across that back trail. It only skirts a tiny corner of my back yard, but travels from a very beat up old street, and eventually leads to the nice new street. it is NOT plowed all winter, and we like it that way. Since its officially a dead end street, and no maintenance is done, its in bad shape. the snow plows make HUGE humps of snow on both ends of it during the course of the winter, and we dread when folks figure out how to get past it. They seem to think its "fun". The dead end street is called headlands, and no longer meets lake shore, but folks try. here is what happened.

All winter long, folks run up headlands, and reach the right of way...stop...think about it...decide to turn around in the lil cottage lot, go back the way they came. As spring approaches we all know some dumb bunny is gonna try to ram their way through to Lake Shore. Last year some car was stuck in the middle for days. Today, an older Ford Bronco, runs up to the snow hump. thinks about it. He and his buddy get out, and look. They get back in, and ...gun it! zip sideways through the right of way, sliding through towards lake shore. never slow down, and when they reach Lake shore, try to take a sharp turn to the left to be on their way. HA! The truck goes nose first, and SLAMS the grill, and bumper into the pavement. There is about a 4 to 5 foot ramp of snow there, more like a cliff. The front tires are now hung on the edge of the pavement, and the back axle is hung up in the air on the 4 foot snow bank. rrrrrrr.....rrrrrr....rrrrr wheels spining, smoke rising, and finally both guys get out, and look. oil leaking, one decides to pull on the front bumper, while the other one guns it, driving towards his buddy. We cringed, we thought for sure he would run him over. He finally lets go, and walks around to push from the back end. rrrrr....rrrrr...rrrr nothing. They both get out, and start hand digging out the back axel, and trying to make a path for the front tire to have something to catch on. They grab shrubs, bushes, dry branches, and stuff to shove under the tires. rrrrr....rrrrr....rrrrr, this goes on for about 30 minutes. passenger gets out again, pulling on the front bumper, while the driver guns it. The truck lunges off the snow bank, and SLAMS down onto the pavement, just missing the passenger who was pulling on the bumper, by a hair. I dont know how he wasnt run over. They get out, climb over the truck, and look under it, cussing, and spitting, and kicking the pavement. rednecks get back in their truck, and wobble down the street, with a clearly busted truck. All it takes is ONE to open the right of way, now you know many more will see the tire tracks and follow them on through. Spring is truly here, cause the rednecks are out, and looking to tear stuff up.

Thats the report from the back woods of NH. That is how we truly gauge when spring has begun on this street.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (03-25-2009), SallyC (03-25-2009), SandyC (03-25-2009), Taffy (03-25-2009)

advertisement
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Sorry hun, I think we have the same breed of rednecks.

Every year, we get a new litter of kids with loud, ratty mufflers on their pick em ups, trying to slide sideways through the house.

I was in my glory the day one of em blew his engine gunning it hard, trying to peel out from the carry out across the road. WHAM! A lot of smoke, then nothing. I could've wet myself LOL at that one.

Bunch of tractor pull rejects. I bet their mommas are proud.

Dejibo (03-25-2009), Jappy (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

half the time their mommas are in the truck with um, sayin GUN IT, I need to get to the store for my smokes son.

I guess you have to see this tiny itty bitty trail to understand. its just the local yocals that refuse to give up the "old way" to the lake. it cuts through peoples yards now. 2 folks kept their "right of way" and refused to give way even under court proceedings, so it must remain unfettered for now. its just silly. There is a wonderful, newly paved, wide lane, country road that leads peacefully to the lake now, why use that beat up trail that beats out the undercarriage of your truck? the ruts are knee deep, and the road lists sideways. its NOT a safe trail, yet, every spring, they all line up to see who can bust through it first. They keep forgetting about the steep drop off onto the paved road after the snow plows throw all the excess snow up there.

I shouldnt laugh at the misery of others, but its like a contest every year to see who is gonna be dumb enough to try it. From Oct to April no one tries, but round about the last week of March, they all start thinking about it. This guy needs a new grill, new bumper, and some new teeth after smacking his face on the dash. We dont have seat belt laws here.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Copaxone 8/7/07

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (03-25-2009), Twinkletoes (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I know it's spring on my street, when the older redneck, across the street, gets his old Harley out of the garage and revs up the motor a couple million times and finallllllllly, takes off down the street, only to return, gun it a few thousand more times and puts it away..LOL

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-25-2009), Jappy (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
I know it's spring on my street, when the older redneck, across the street, gets his old Harley out of the garage and revs up the motor a couple million times and finallllllllly, takes off down the street, only to return, gun it a few thousand more times and puts it away..LOL

Hey Salpal~ We don't live in town, but when we are somewhere (like the campground) and someone continues to rev their bike, DH and just shakes his head and says quietly "OK, we know you have a motorcycle ~ ride it or park it:. He never says it to the person, but I always chuckle when he mumbles it.

I know it's Spring when the culverts in front of my house start to fill up w/other people's garbage, esp fast food bags/cups. Guess it's covered by the snow or not as much fun to litter in the Winter. Really ticks me off, as I have to go out and pick up what people pitch out of their cars. Oh, and I don't collect aluminum cans, so they can quit pitching them out too.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-25-2009), Jappy (03-25-2009), SallyC (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can smell the testosterone from here...

Dejibo, if I were you, I would be out there with a shovel every time it snowed making that pile higher and deeper. You may not be able to block the right of way, but you sure can do things to make it more entertaining to watch people try to use it. Shovel in a couple of large ramps in the dirt under low hanging tree limbs and see if you can get one launched into a tree. If you are leaving soon, you might as well make the most of the time you have left...
TXBatman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-25-2009), SallyC (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM #7
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

we HATE that stupid right of way. Most folks see its a snake trail, and go the other way, but not some of the local rednecks...oh no! they wont be deterred by something as silly as a 5 foot snow bank. nuh uh.

We have a mcdonalds that is 60 miles away. why do I see mcdonalds bags in my yard?! Why do you have to wait till you get all the way back here, to the lake side homes to pitch out your trash?

There is a campground through the woods, and dangit if every summer, someone doesnt steal our solar walkway lights. Our garden gnomes, and last year they took our bird bath. its HEAVY! I can just imagine their fancy camp site. All lit up with our lights, and a nice bird bath, and garden fairies. What dopes! They slug beer as they walk down the street, and just pitch the cans at the yard. The owner of the campground HATES a man who lives on this street, and felt the land here was stolen from under him, so each year, he passes out maps to the campers to tell them how to get to the "beautiful lake" I swear! they have maps! they make comments like "its public land! you cant stop me from going to the lake!" I dont have a lake front home, but those that do are fed up.

So, spring has sprung, and the red necks are out of hibernation. sheesh!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Copaxone 8/7/07

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (03-25-2009), Twinkletoes (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 05:58 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Just Desserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
we HATE that stupid right of way. Most folks see its a snake trail, and go the other way, but not some of the local rednecks...oh no! they wont be deterred by something as silly as a 5 foot snow bank. nuh uh.

We have a mcdonalds that is 60 miles away. why do I see mcdonalds bags in my yard?! Why do you have to wait till you get all the way back here, to the lake side homes to pitch out your trash?

There is a campground through the woods, and dangit if every summer, someone doesnt steal our solar walkway lights. Our garden gnomes, and last year they took our bird bath. its HEAVY! I can just imagine their fancy camp site. All lit up with our lights, and a nice bird bath, and garden fairies. What dopes! They slug beer as they walk down the street, and just pitch the cans at the yard. The owner of the campground HATES a man who lives on this street, and felt the land here was stolen from under him, so each year, he passes out maps to the campers to tell them how to get to the "beautiful lake" I swear! they have maps! they make comments like "its public land! you cant stop me from going to the lake!" I dont have a lake front home, but those that do are fed up.

So, spring has sprung, and the red necks are out of hibernation. sheesh!
We ought to be able to come up with a plan for your unwelcome visitors to get their just desserts.

For example:

My Uncle, who owned a large farm, suspected his haystack was decreasing in size too quickly. His house was probably close to 1/2 mile away from it. He hammered some nails into a board and planted it inside the gate where the haystack was. Then he sat at the window with binoculars and waited.

Sure enough, there was a vehicle down there with a flat tire. He called the cops and they got caught!

A man just a few blocks from me tells me his woodpile kept shrinking. So he put some dynamite inside a log or two. Not long after that, one of the trailers in the trailer park next door had an explosion in their wood-burning stove! I guess the whole smoke stack (or whatever its called) blew off!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-26-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

OMG Rochelle, He's the idiot who should have been arrested.....He coulda killed someone..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-26-2009), Jappy (03-26-2009), Twinkletoes (03-26-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
OMG Rochelle, He's the idiot who should have been arrested.....He coulda killed someone..

Sally, you're right. Now that I think about it, it could have been gunpowder, not dynamite. Sorry -- my bad!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-26-2009), SallyC (03-26-2009)