advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Need help, MrsD?

Yesterday I came down with a dilly of a bladder infection. Called doctor, picked up antibiotics, and you guess it, Cipro. It was after hours and I was in pain so I took one. I have since taken four and the bladder pain is gone, but after reading the internet including some past posts here, I don't want to take them anymore. My PN is really acting up, which is making me even more scared, though I was having some bad days before I took it. I don't want to take anymore, but I don't know what to do about treating the rest of the infection. I know I will most likely need to call the doctor, but I would also like your opinion on this. Thanks!
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Did the doctor give you the short course of 250mg?
This is a low dose and may not have the severity of the side effects that the higher dose one may have.

Unfortunately all the bladder infection drugs have side effects on PN. Macrodantin (Macrobid) and sulfas both affect the nerves in some people as well.

So Vit E (natural type) and NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) would be good things to take for a month or so if you remain on the Cipro.

To prevent further episodes, cranberry extract in tablet/capsule form works for some.

This is one of those situations where someone may HAVE to take the dreaded drug(s) that create more trouble down the road. Dose and time on them are also factors. Low dose, short course, is the least problematic.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Did the doctor give you the short course of 250mg?
This is a low dose and may not have the severity of the side effects that the higher dose one may have.

Unfortunately all the bladder infection drugs have side effects on PN. Macrodantin (Macrobid) and sulfas both affect the nerves in some people as well.

So Vit E (natural type) and NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) would be good things to take for a month or so if you remain on the Cipro.

To prevent further episodes, cranberry extract in tablet/capsule form works for some.

This is one of those situations where someone may HAVE to take the dreaded drug(s) that create more trouble down the road. Dose and time on them are also factors. Low dose, short course, is the least problematic.

Yes, he gave me 250 mg, 14 pills to be taken once twice a day. This would be a 7 day treatment I guess. As I mentioned, I have already had two days of treatment and I already feel back to normal bladder wise. Sounds like I may not have much of a choice, as you mentioned most of the antibiotics taken for a bladder infection can still cause problems. So the 250mg. is a lower dose? I wonder if I can cut down on the days needed on this. I will take your advise about all of the supplements mentioned.

I'm curious in general MrsD, when someone gets PN from antibiotics, how far down the road after taking them can PN start? Can the nerves heal from this? Thank you for your help....
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I would NOT shorten the course. This will only lead to relapse.

Not much is known about the fluoroquinolone damage. Only so far what I found on Dr. Cohen's website and copied over here.

There are websites and forums about this subject. Not everyone gets the PN, but when it does happen it is resistant to reversal.

http://www.medicationsense.com/artic...ity070508.html

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I would NOT shorten the course. This will only lead to relapse.

Not much is known about the fluoroquinolone damage. Only so far what I found on Dr. Cohen's website and copied over here.

There are websites and forums about this subject. Not everyone gets the PN, but when it does happen it is resistant to reversal.

http://www.medicationsense.com/artic...ity070508.html
Thanks again MrsD. I guess the scary part is not knowing if the symptoms you may be feeling while taking this drug is an actual reaction, or your PN is just really acting up....
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 AM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Arrow

Hi Hope, here is a site on Cipro if you haven't already read it. http://www.drugs.com/cipro.html

For people who have CMT (I realize you probably do not), Nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Microbid) are on the medical alert list for CMTers; with a Moderate to Significant risk. And they do affect the nerves. Some CMTers have really been taken down.

As mrsD said, they can affect the nerves in other people as well.

I gave that information so that any CMTer who might be reading this would have the information.

Hope things get better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

mrsD, this may be a little off topic, but still need to know....BEFORE getting a bladder infection...Do these ProBiotics really do any good? In your opinion? For me, they work or I believe they work..lol But would like your take on it.
Everytime my daughter even THINKS she is getting a bladder infection I make her take these...Whatcha think?
gardengrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There have been studies on some probiotics helping with
recurrent bladder infections. Yogurt also has this benefit.

Females get bladder infections when they overdo the hygiene issue, and wash away protective compounds. Thong type underwear has been suspected to spread bacteria to the bladder as well.

It is best to wash down there lightly, and use a pH neutral soap like baby shampoo. Soap residues "down there" burn and can irritate and open the way to urinary infections. Bubble bath salts are known bladder infection triggers for the same reason.
Women with infections that recur should NEVER use bubble bath salts or soak water softeners.

Cranberry extract is very good...it prevents bacteria from sticking to the wall of the bladder, and prevents infection that way. Taken in capsule form, there is less sugar to deal with too.

"Thanks for this!" says:
gardengrl (03-26-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
Hi Hope, here is a site on Cipro if you haven't already read it. http://www.drugs.com/cipro.html

For people who have CMT (I realize you probably do not), Nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Microbid) are on the medical alert list for CMTers; with a Moderate to Significant risk. And they do affect the nerves. Some CMTers have really been taken down.

As mrsD said, they can affect the nerves in other people as well.

I gave that information so that any CMTer who might be reading this would have the information.

Hope things get better.

Thanks Kitt. Gosh, I really don't know what one is suppose to take when they have a bladder infection. It's just plain scary, and of course those of us who get a bladder infection can't let it go because that will cause complications in itself. I think I will call the pharmacist and just ask about this and explain the situation. I sure am going to do anything I can in the future to prevent a reoccurring infection for sure....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Arrow Hope

Thanks for the post Hope Sounds like a plan. Take care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote