Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Embryonic Cloning Advances in Australia

Australia has followed Israel, Taiwan, Sth Korea, the U.K. and others in an overwhelming support by its parliament in this win win for science. The problem is secula Australia don't have anywhere near the scientific knowse the U.S. has at its disposal.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...081020220.html

GO HARD SCIENCE
Howardh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Agree Australia doesn't have the expertise ...

at present but it has great potential. Great climate, good standard of living and much cheaper cost of living than parts of Europe.

With the UK's approach of 2 men and a dog and hope for divine intervention, (hardly worthy of the world's 4th largest economy), and the fiasco in Southern Korea, Australia may act as a new magnet for research.

Depends how serious they are.

Aftermathman.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:47 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default slipping in to say....

I would much rather just read -you two because you are so entertaining in your language and mannerisms. I won't put you any more on the spot just keep at it.

But Howard, any people to stir up over there? The UK has Tom Isaacs and Europe Mary [forgot her last name....is it Richards?] I don't think that's right.

This is a global issue......let me know if you hear of any ideas or news if you don't mind.

Paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:40 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hey Hey Paula

Anybody remember that song? out of the 1950s or 60s. Franky Avalon or somebody similar may have sung it. Catchy tune. But I digress....

Tom Isaacs or Mary Richards. Are they musicians, scientists,? Give us a clue.

Speaking of ideas this may be of interest to worthy investors.....

http://www.isecureonline.com/Reports...70503&l=811340

GO HARD SCIENCE
Howardh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Daffy / Santa perhaps you can answer this ...

just so people don't think I am unjustifiably moaning re. the UK's stem cell efforts, I have attached two links:

i) This one is entitled "Britain's position as the world leader in stem cell technology is in serious jeopardy because of a lack of funding, one of the country's leading scientists said yesterday".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ma...28/nstem25.xml

ii) This one is entitled "Leading genetic scientist leaves UK for Spain".

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...570853,00.html

While the UK has proven to be one of the more creative countries in the world my question is how is it possible to make meaningful advances set against this "cottage industry" background. Perhaps the UK is unique where medical research flourishes in an environment of adversity and underfunding.

Daffy, I thought you may have some insight here as you seem to be close to the UK medical business. In summary I am asking anyone:

"Is the UK's approach to stem cell research typical of its historical approach to research in other fields or is it just government spin".

Aftermathman.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:27 AM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Howard I am sorry, they are advocates. Tom Isaacs tells a story about a fundraising walk he was in. It was a long one, across England or something like that. During it, the GDNF trial took place and a friend called him and said, "you can stop walking, they've found a cure."

He also recently did a radio show on the BBC about GDNF.

Mary ......I forget her name....is the Parkinson's representative in the World Health Organization.

Just wondered if there were any active groups in New Zealand representing patients, who are the only ones that can push research with that sense of urgency.

I certainly do remember that song. It was so long ago it is starting to really date us...lol

Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Excuse me for butting in on a post again. I know you don't mind, but just like to say excuse me anyway

Australia does have some of the expertize. The thing is that money is not being spent in the right places. Medical Research appears to me to be on it's own virtually and having to almost fund itself here. For this reason our scientists sell out to overseas interests including pharmaceutical companies. That's what happened with the whole Gardasil debarcle e.g..

I do of course, understand your point... it might appear like we're running a cottage industry as well, but I'm tired of seeing all our scientists and the rest of the brainstrust here heading offshore or selling off. It all comes down to government spending. I predict that there will be a lot of changes going to be taking place here in the next few years politically. Whether that helps medical research or not we're yet to see. Remember we are a country of only 21 million people (approx). Howard, I think we do have the scientific experitize, we just don't have the initiative or the financial backing to do some things... it all gets sold out somewhere along the chain. I would like to see people working together for the sake of medical research, but for now I think we're just plodding along taking it one step at a time rather than in a position where we can go ahead in leaps and bounds.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Lara,

Thanks for that reply, i think talking about it can be a good thing. I learned something already... the political scenario is getting almost too scary to watch over here. The American Dream....we just have too many overachievers.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:17 PM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thanks Paula. I really do not like to butt in and appreciate when you say it's alright to do so. I hesitated to add more on my other post about a keyword that Howard used there . . secular. Watching the whole drawn out debate here was a bit like pulling teeth and that was mainly because some of us in secular australia were watching certain politicians saying what we should or should not be doing when we didn't really have a say in it at all. It took us all back in time to remind us all yet again about that old adage... separation of church and state.

I hope I can say that here. I am a true blue aussie afterall.

Last edited by Lara; 12-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:46 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Well....yeah. Pleasant thoughts like that do go through your head - it's part of what we have to work so hard not to think about....I think.

I just don't have the energy to be much more than blunt these days. But I'm starting to see a little 'if you build it, it will come momentum going....first of all, we need a billionaire - anybody know one? lol

The other night they asked Ted Turner if he had enough money, how much is too much -you have billions - isn't that enough? Ted paused and said 'no" with a laugh.

ok what's your idea?