Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Grab the Kleenex: Another great animal story!

Even though this is not about OUR pet, I thought I must share this story my daughter sent in an e-mail today. It made me cry into my Rice Crispies at breakfast while I was reading it!

In 2003, police in Warwickshire, England, opened a garden shed and found a whimpering, cowering dog. It had been locked in the shed and abandoned. It was dirty and malnourished and clearly had been abused.

In an act of kindness, the police took the dog, which was a greyhound female, to the nearby Nuneaton and Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, run by a man named Geoff Grewcock and known as a willing haven for animals abandoned, orphaned, or otherwise in need.

Geoff Grewcock and the other sanctuary staff went to work with two aims: to restore the dog to full health and to win her trust. It took several weeks, but eventually both goals were achieved.

They named her Jasmine, and they started to think about finding her an adoptive home. The dog had other ideas. No one remembers now how it began, but Jasmine started welcoming all animal arrivals at the sanctuary. It wouldn’t matter if it was a puppy, a fox cub, a rabbit or a rhinoceros, Jasmine would peer into the box or cage and, where possible, deliver a welcoming lick.

Geoff Grewcock relates one of the early incidents. “We had two puppies that had been abandoned by a nearby railway line. One was a Lakeland Terrier cross and another was a Jack Russell Doberman cross. They were tiny when they arrived at the centre and Jasmine approached them and grabbed one by the scruff of the neck in her mouth and put him on the settee. Then she fetched the other one and sat down with them, cuddling them.”

“But she is like that with all of our animals, even the rabbits. She takes all the stress out of them and it helps them to not only feel close to her but to settle into their new surroundings.

“She has done the same with the fox and badger cubs, she licks the rabbits and guinea pigs and even lets the birds perch on the bridge of her nose.”

Jasmine, the timid, abused, deserted waif, became the animal sanctuary’s resident surrogate mother, a role for which she might have been born. The list of orphaned and abandoned youngsters she has cared for comprises five fox cubs, four badger cubs, 15 chicks, eight guinea pigs, two stray puppies and 15 rabbits.

And one roe deer fawn. Tiny Bramble, 11 weeks old, was found semi-conscious in a field. Upon arrival at the sanctuary, Jasmine cuddled up to her to keep her warm, and then went into the full foster mum role. Jasmine the greyhound showers Bramble the roe deer with affection and makes sure nothing is matted in her fur.

“They are inseparable,” says Geoff Grewcock. “Bramble walks between her legs and they keep kissing each other. They walk together round the sanctuary. It’s a real treat to see them.”

Jasmine will continue to care for Bramble until she is old enough to be returned to woodland life. When that happens, Jasmine will not be lonely. She will be too busy showering love and affection on the next orphan or victim of abuse.

From left, Toby, a stray Lakeland dog; Bramble, an orphaned Roe deer; Buster, a stray Jack Russell;
a dumped rabbit; Sky, an injured barn owl; and Jasmine, doing what she does best.

Okay . . . I warned you!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (03-28-2009), barbo (04-01-2009), BlueMajo (03-30-2009), braingonebad (04-07-2009), Chemar (03-27-2009), CrystalSword (03-28-2009), Doody (03-28-2009), froglady (04-13-2009), just drea (03-28-2009), Kitty (03-27-2009), misshayleesmom (03-28-2009), redtail (03-29-2009)

advertisement
Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

What a great article/story!

Thanks for sharing it!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (03-28-2009), Chemar (03-27-2009)
Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 AM #3
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

Oh I loved that! Thanks!

Kitties....!

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (03-28-2009)
Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

What a beautiful bunch they are. I just wanna scoop them all up and kiss and smooch! Thank you.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

LOL Alffe, what a cute video. Kitties are so much fun at that age.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Trophy How Amazing .

The "group" picture says it all - these animals shouldn't be comfortable around each other, but that dog's abilities are SO AMAZING! She is the glue and the example for all of them! That is so touching - thank you for sharing that. I'm a real dog lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthanded
Even though this is not about OUR pet, I thought I must share this story my daughter sent in an e-mail today. It made me cry into my Rice Crispies at breakfast while I was reading it!

In 2003, police in Warwickshire, England, opened a garden shed and found a whimpering, cowering dog. It had been locked in the shed and abandoned. It was dirty and malnourished and clearly had been abused.

In an act of kindness, the police took the dog, which was a greyhound female, to the nearby Nuneaton and Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, run by a man named Geoff Grewcock and known as a willing haven for animals abandoned, orphaned, or otherwise in need.

Geoff Grewcock and the other sanctuary staff went to work with two aims: to restore the dog to full health and to win her trust. It took several weeks, but eventually both goals were achieved.

They named her Jasmine, and they started to think about finding her an adoptive home. The dog had other ideas. No one remembers now how it began, but Jasmine started welcoming all animal arrivals at the sanctuary. It wouldn’t matter if it was a puppy, a fox cub, a rabbit or a rhinoceros, Jasmine would peer into the box or cage and, where possible, deliver a welcoming lick.

Geoff Grewcock relates one of the early incidents. “We had two puppies that had been abandoned by a nearby railway line. One was a Lakeland Terrier cross and another was a Jack Russell Doberman cross. They were tiny when they arrived at the centre and Jasmine approached them and grabbed one by the scruff of the neck in her mouth and put him on the settee. Then she fetched the other one and sat down with them, cuddling them.”

“But she is like that with all of our animals, even the rabbits. She takes all the stress out of them and it helps them to not only feel close to her but to settle into their new surroundings.

“She has done the same with the fox and badger cubs, she licks the rabbits and guinea pigs and even lets the birds perch on the bridge of her nose.”

Jasmine, the timid, abused, deserted waif, became the animal sanctuary’s resident surrogate mother, a role for which she might have been born. The list of orphaned and abandoned youngsters she has cared for comprises five fox cubs, four badger cubs, 15 chicks, eight guinea pigs, two stray puppies and 15 rabbits.

And one roe deer fawn. Tiny Bramble, 11 weeks old, was found semi-conscious in a field. Upon arrival at the sanctuary, Jasmine cuddled up to her to keep her warm, and then went into the full foster mum role. Jasmine the greyhound showers Bramble the roe deer with affection and makes sure nothing is matted in her fur.

“They are inseparable,” says Geoff Grewcock. “Bramble walks between her legs and they keep kissing each other. They walk together round the sanctuary. It’s a real treat to see them.”

Jasmine will continue to care for Bramble until she is old enough to be returned to woodland life. When that happens, Jasmine will not be lonely. She will be too busy showering love and affection on the next orphan or victim of abuse.

From left, Toby, a stray Lakeland dog; Bramble, an orphaned Roe deer; Buster, a stray Jack Russell;
a dumped rabbit; Sky, an injured barn owl; and Jasmine, doing what she does best.

Okay . . . I warned you!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 AM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Oh my Gosh, how cute she is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing !!!!

Im so in love with her.

Lovely

Amazing

Great

Wonderful

Cute

Beautiful

Aaaahhhhhh !
BlueMajo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:59 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

A
That's so sweet
lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 AM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Now that is a great story! Very cool that she ended up exactly where she was supposed to be, doing what she was meant to do - making her corner of thew world a better place.

And to think, she has no idea how many will hear her story and be moved by it.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 AM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Thank you for sharing.

Barbara
befuddled2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote