Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default triple cervical fusion

My surgeon told me that I needed a triple cervical fusion surgery with screws and other inserts. How long does it take to recover from this type of surgery? How dangerous is this surgery? The surgeon told me to have the surgery done at a teaching hopspital, not at a local hospital.

Have other people on this board had triple cervical fusion surgery?
leon217 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-06-2009)

advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm sure there are members who have had 3. so sorry you're having these problems. I don't understand the "teaching hospital" remark your doc said. I know there's good universities, but they do "experiment" and "learn" there.

Take your time to find a great surgeon. Ask other people who've had neck and back surgery who they recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon217 View Post
My surgeon told me that I needed a triple cervical fusion surgery with screws and other inserts. How long does it take to recover from this type of surgery? How dangerous is this surgery? The surgeon told me to have the surgery done at a teaching hopspital, not at a local hospital.

Have other people on this board had triple cervical fusion surgery?
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[SIZE="4"]Hi
I guess better late than never, right?
I had C3,4,5,6 fused 4 years ago, after a botched laminectomy. Recovery was not so bad, couldn't drive for 6 weeks. I saw my Xray after the surgery, it looks like a bicycle chain. Screws, and rods and all sorts of hardware. He used cadavar bone at one point, rather than using mine from my hip. I was in the hospital for 4 days, they wanted me to stay longer. He went in from the front, I have a very tiny scar on my neck. I don't remember having a lot of post op pain, the J collar was a nusisance. Had to basically be a bum. No housework, lifting anything. I smoke, and have diabetes. Because of that, they orderd a bone stimulator for me, I was to use it 30 min a day for several months.[ So now it is almost 5 years later. I have good range of motion with all of my hardware. BUT!!!!! Because my neck has been stabalized, I have developed scoliosis, kyphosis, have bone fragments above and below the fusions, and radicuopathy. I get Botox trigger point injections for the pain. I'd still do the fusion surgery again. I may have to do lumbar fusion in the future.

Hope you see this, and it helps./SIZE]
aussiemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote