Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Top 10 suggestions for surviving ACDF?

I'll be having an Anterior Cervical Disk Fusion (C6-C7) on April 22 and I'm pretty nervous about the recovery period.

If you've been there, done that, what things would you suggest I do to prepare and what suggestions would you have to make the recovery go as smoothly as possible?

BTW, I also have M.S. and some mobility problems - i.e., I wear an Ankle Foot Orthosis on my right leg to prevent toe drop and knee hyperextension. I understand walking around each day will be important and will sure do what I can. . .

Thanks in advance
JustJim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-05-2009)

advertisement
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Have you explored all options?

Hi Jim,

I had ACDF C6-7 with metal plate on 8/17/04 and returned to work the first week of September. I didn't have the additional complication of MS, but this surgery was one month to the day after another major surgery, so I really expected it to take longer. I had C4-5 done in 1993, and C5-6 done in 1997.

You didn't mention why you have to have the fusion, but if I had to have another fusion (probably will some day) I would explore the newer non-invasive surgery. It's done microscopically through a very small incision.

Prior to my 2nd fusion, I became aware of a place in FLA doing microscopic surgery, but they weren't doing the cervical area at that time. My third came up so fast that I wasn't "with it" well enough
to check it out (darn), BUT I was just faced with the possibilty of having to have another surgery done on the 6/7, T1 area and it was my first thought. Thankfully, my myelogram showed that I'm not at that point just yet, but if/when I do get there, I'm heading for the microscopic. Even though all 3 of my surgeries went very well and I got great relief afterward, as you can see from my list - one thing seemed to lead to another for me. An now I have problems just from the normal scarring and build up that happens as a result of the surgery.

Microscopic is done on an outpatient basis, but you have to be at or near the clinic for a week - 2 days pre op tests, 1 day surgery and 3 days follow up. They don't knock you completely out like they do for the traditional surgery either, which appealed to me because I have MG which is another autoimmune disease.

Then a week or so of rest and you're good to go.

I found out about this option from a person who rented his FLA condo to patients from all over the world and saw them come in in a wheelchair (that's when they only did the lombar area microscopically), and walk out on their own. They can do pretty much anything a traditional surgery can do if you need just one level done. Some insurances are accepted at some as well.

If you may be interested, you can search the inet for microscopic spine surgery. There are several clinics, and hospitals now beginning to do this type of procedure.

Whichever way you go, in my experience the ACDF is the easiest of the surgeries I've been through - seems like it's not as traumatic to the body as loosing an organ.

Best of luck. You'll be fine. Be sure to keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
I'll be having an Anterior Cervical Disk Fusion (C6-C7) on April 22 and I'm pretty nervous about the recovery period.

If you've been there, done that, what things would you suggest I do to prepare and what suggestions would you have to make the recovery go as smoothly as possible?

BTW, I also have M.S. and some mobility problems - i.e., I wear an Ankle Foot Orthosis on my right leg to prevent toe drop and knee hyperextension. I understand walking around each day will be important and will sure do what I can. . .

Thanks in advance
JustJim (04-03-2009)
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=ras1256;490404]
You didn't mention why you have to have the fusion, but if I had to have another fusion (probably will some day) I would explore the newer non-invasive surgery. It's done microscopically through a very small incision.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into it.

J
JustJim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote