advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Pain Diminishing

For 7 days now I have stopped taking my 300mg of Lyrica mainly because it was easier to to quit rather than drag the fridge into the bedroom. Its insane how that stuff makes you want to eat. A jar of pickles followed bay 7 banannas soaked in a cup of honey was a good entree Also about the same time I started a vegetarian diet and eliminated soft drinks, I drank a lot of diet coke.
Surprised to find that my burning has diminished around 50% at least and very tolerable. previously it was in my hands and started burning up to my knees, now its nearly gone from my hands and only below the ankles. Does red meat somehow irritate the neuro system? or was it the diet coke? either way the hunger has stopped and weight is dropping off so hope its not just a pullback but a sign of better days ahead
zorro1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Outstanding!

I'm just glad to hear the pain subsiding. Amazing that a change in diet made it happen.

No, I don't have any answers on how it occured, (maybe the caffiene was acting as some sort of irratant ) but thanks for sharing it.

I am the MonSter that MS fears.

Always outnumbered...
Never outgunned

*I* am the MonSter that MS fears
MooseasaurusRex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Great that you are improving!

Diet Coke has aspartame in it...which contains aspartic acid.
This is a neurostimulant amino acid which activates the NMDA receptors like glutamate does.

People with pain issues should also avoid MSG which is in many processed foods, soups gravies and restaurant food.
Monosodium glutamate also would activate NMDA receptors..
This is a well known trigger for me, for example.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

moose my diet is now either raw fruit n veg or slow cooker vege style soup. Raw`food can be difficult but okay with low fat dips. Mrs D I live in Thailand and they use msg in just about all foods so now that you mention it, since eating at home there is no more MSG , could have been a culprit. Will post back in a week or so just to make sure its not my mind playing games
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (04-04-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Both MSG and sugar substitutes (I stay away from all of them-anything that has a sugar substitute)... thay make my PN flare up.
Diet Coke, 'No sugar' candies, any sweets that are diet anything usually has a sugar substitute and its probably aspartame, but I won't eat any of them.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro13 View Post
For 7 days now I have stopped taking my 300mg of Lyrica mainly because it was easier to to quit rather than drag the fridge into the bedroom. Its insane how that stuff makes you want to eat. A jar of pickles followed bay 7 banannas soaked in a cup of honey was a good entree Also about the same time I started a vegetarian diet and eliminated soft drinks, I drank a lot of diet coke.
Surprised to find that my burning has diminished around 50% at least and very tolerable. previously it was in my hands and started burning up to my knees, now its nearly gone from my hands and only below the ankles. Does red meat somehow irritate the neuro system? or was it the diet coke? either way the hunger has stopped and weight is dropping off so hope its not just a pullback but a sign of better days ahead

How wonderful! Thank you for posting this. It's really great to read good news on this forum about any kind of possible healing, or improvement. I think it just gives us all a good mental boost.
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 10 days

of a diet of only fresh fruit and vegtables do the same for me - not burning. I lost 5 kg, but feel funny, I can't tell. My voice become smoother, like a little girl. It did change things, but since it was protein free diet - I stopet it. I think we need protein on an everyday basis in our diet.
amit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
of a diet of only fresh fruit and vegtables do the same for me - not burning. I lost 5 kg, but feel funny, I can't tell. My voice become smoother, like a little girl. It did change things, but since it was protein free diet - I stopet it. I think we need protein on an everyday basis in our diet.
Well just to report back yes its real the burning has diminished dramatically but i still have some numbness in toes and soles of feet. Forgot to mention I eat a whole bulb of garlic everyday without fail, yes a WHOLE bulb have done so for over a month but I live in Asia so no social problems there. I have a large (very rare) steak with a potato once a week, that's it and only in a restaurant as a treat and for iron. Amit glad to hear you getting relief same method. Cant believe 6 months ago was in agony and doped up. the p/n is still there because went to a wedding and had a few to many and the burning came back straight away but only mild compared to before. vege and fruit diet really helps and after a week you start to ectually enjoy it.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Yes, that is really great!

Food additives are really terrible triggers. MSG is the worst!

It took me a LONG time to realize potatoes were triggers for me.
So I have squash and yams instead.

You can get substantial protein from Edamame beans (they are very good tasting), regular beans, and eggs, whey protein, yogurt, and nuts. I find the pouched salmon makes a great sandwich. Tuna has warnings now about heavy metals. Sometimes I have shrimp for lunch.

Some people cannot tolerate certain beans...Beans have lectins on them which are toxic for some people. Red beans esp if not cooked properly can be a nightmare:
http://gut.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/44/5/593

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 AM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I wouldn't go near a bean if you paid me. Even with beano.

WOOOO!!! Forget it!!!

I grow my own sprouts (I found out one cup has about 10 calories). So I use them in my salads, in my patties, and during the summer, I'll probably juice them, along with other stuff.

I had all these beans and lentils in my cupboard. I gave them to a fellow sprouter who can tolerate them. Believe me I tried. I sprouted them, I soaked them first of course, I lightly cooked them, I fully cooked them.

forget it. I was like a walking gas tank. (to put it mildly).

I went off any kind of beans 3 weeks ago. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

And I go to the bathroom every day (which I love).

These sprouts are very good for one's digestion, and wonderful in that they are colorful, and just plain full of anti-oxidants. AND CHEAP TO MAKE. AND EASY!!

I get my protein from other sources so I don't need the beans.

THANK GOD FOR THAT.

I thought Alan would divorce me.

LOL

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote