Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default what about us!!!

Hey I was just realizing (duh) that this is PD awareness month and I thought how appropriate it wouldb if we had a "bracelet" that we could wear as well as one that would identify us as having PD not just someone who is a supporter or a collector of the bracelet of the month gang. We need something that says "I have PD". I know for some this is a two edged sword but they can make that choice. I think this would spark a lot of conversations- in the doc office, grocery store,etc and a lot of awareness. Then again, not to knock it but the yellow bracelets are sort of old now and it seems that everyone has one. But then again when you see it tell me if you don't say to yourself "aha that's for cancer or whatnot." It's all about voices and the sqeaky wheel...well, you know. So whatdoya think, let's go on this one, anybody?
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default my wife's suggestion...

A tennis bracelet!! OOOps.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim0918 View Post
A tennis bracelet!! OOOps.
Great idea! tennis bracelet with a tulip tag!

girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girija View Post
Great idea! tennis bracelet with a tulip tag!

girija
I'll be sure to run right out and get my tennis bracelet with any luck it will match my earrings

GregD
dbiker2 (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Wristbands

Great idea to make a wristband that specifically says "I have PD" or "I have Parkinson's disease." There are many online wristband companies, the best one I found is Reminderband.com. They are very helpful and their product is excellent. They have dozens of colors to choose from, options such as free artwork, phrases on front and back (second phrase costs 20¢/band), and the option for colorfilling (costs 25¢/band) so the wording and/or artwork really stands out. Their pricing is on a sliding scale depending on quantity ordered. And you don't have to order in bulk. On the Reminderband.com website there is a photo gallery of bands they have produced. I used them to order wristbands to sell as a TeamFox member fundraiser. NeuroTalk let me post it here: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread80181.html

I like the idea of a wristband that specifically says "I have PD" or "I have Parkinson's disease." I ordered for myself a woman's leather and stainless steel bracelet with a medic-alert type symbol on it and the word "Parkinson's" engraved on it, but the engraving is so small as to be nearly impossible to read and I feel like it is useless. But a silicone bracelet could be easily read and inexpensive. And while the TeamFox bracelets have been purchased by both PWP and people without PD to support the MJF Foundation, a wristband that simply says I HAVE PARKINSON'S DISEASE, is a fabulous idea.

Last edited by Yam1; 04-08-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Yam1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dbiker2 (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Ordered one for myself

I love my TeamFox wristband and wear it all the time, and I find that many people don't know what TeamFox is. They often think it has something to do with Fox Car Racing. The band has the phrase "For Parkinson's Research" on the back but that doesn't always help. I have had people think that it means the folks at Fox auto racing support Parkinson's research. So that is when I get to share PD awareness (and that's a good thing), which is one of the reasons for the TeamFox wristbands. They are about raising awareness, funding and support for Parkinson's research. But it doesn't necessarily identify me or anyone who wears one as having PD, nor was it designed with that in mind. So now this new wristband is for me. I'll be hip (?) and wear them both on the same wrist.

Because of Jim's suggestion, I first went to the Reminderband.com website to decide just exactly what I wanted, then I called them and ordered a royal blue debossed silicone bracelet that will have the phrase "I HAVE PARKINSON'S DISEASE" followed by a medic alert type symbol, both phrase and symbol color-filled with red. I used red for the fill because that is the standard medical symbol color, and royal blue for the band just because I love that color. Reminderband already had medic alert symbol artwork, so I didn't have to provide anything special. I just told the sales rep what I wanted, and they did the rest. Ordering just one wristband seems pricey ($11 total includes S&H) compared to the per band price when ordering in bulk, but I spent $44 on an engraved Parkinson's bracelet that can't be read unless you are within about two inches of it. And most people don't get that close to me or my wrists.

Last edited by Yam1; 04-08-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Wanted to clarify a point or two.
Yam1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Mine's on the way...

blue with the red "star of life", ''parkinson's disease".
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default For the Brits ...

the PDS UK charity wristband, wear mine always.

Neil.

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/support...ristbands.aspx
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote