Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Has anyone tried mechanical traction for sciatica and disc pain?

I have a bulging disc at L4-5 and a herniated one at L5-S1 and a physical therapist recommended this. From the little research I've done, it says its not a permanent fix and it takes a fair amount of procedures which cost a lot. The PT tells me that I'll know immediatly after its done if it will help or not.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with this.

Thank you, EE
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default consider your options

Hi,
I also have herniated disc at L5 S1, ( you can see my posts)- I am 36 and was in a car accident in 2001. The disc revealed itself while I was doing playground duty, just walking around, nothing fancy! Anyway, after diagnosing, I started pt (which involved stretches and exercise along with deep massage for about 20 minutes which I really wish was actually an hour!)Did pt for about 6 weeks (with a lot of improvement) and started to level out with no new great improvement. I tried 2 non invasive spinal decompression treatments to see if I wanted to do the estimated 48 treatments at a total cost of $4000. First treatment they stretched me at 45 or so pounds. I actually dozed off in the middle of it- so relaxed and it felt SOOOO good. But by the time I got to the car, I was in agony. I stayed in bed all night and all the next day. Everything HURT!! I called and told them no way I could take a day after each treatment to recover from the treatment, plus the $$$ was way out of my range ( my insurance didn't cover!) They said, come back one more time, and we'll try again. They dialed the pull back to the 30's, and the next day I didn't feel quite as bad, but I still hurt. Because of the $$$ part of it, they were going to try to work out a deal with me and call me back. They never did. (And I had also been told like you have that there was no guarantee that it would work long term, and that there wouldn't be pain as the disc compressed as it inevitably will because of gravity, etc Plus, it was COSTLY!!!) So I started seeing a neuro chiropractor. WOW oh WOW! Such a difference! He does not mainly do adjustments like most chiros do, but instead treats muscles and nerves, while checking on the stability and strength of the brain ( I know, seems like a lot of weird, and I was a bit of a skeptic at first, but I have felt so much better!) He and pt are working in agreement with what the other is doing, so I see both a total of four times a week, alternating days. Chiro is working on stabilizing nerves and muscles to keep everything aligned along with breaking up deep knots, and pt is working on exercises for core strengthening (glutes too- didn't realize how much core and glutes have to do with your back!) and deep tissue massage for the tight muscles and knots that seem to be prolific.
Anyway, that's where I am at. I have been recommending my neuro chiro to everyone because he has made such a world of difference- and I tried a regular chiro immediately after the car accident all those years ago- after a time of treatment, he dismissed me saying I had chronic pain and that I would have to learn to live with it, but he would not treat me any longer. I went for many years with regular pain until the disc thing happened in January. I have been blessed with some amazing doctors and pts, and feel I am well on the road to recovery. God has a huge part in it as well! Hope this helps, and get better soon! I would love to hear about your progress wherever you end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE03 View Post
I have a bulging disc at L4-5 and a herniated one at L5-S1 and a physical therapist recommended this. From the little research I've done, it says its not a permanent fix and it takes a fair amount of procedures which cost a lot. The PT tells me that I'll know immediatly after its done if it will help or not.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with this.

Thank you, EE
jenniferowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:45 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jennifer, thank you for sharing your experience with me. I've already been through physical therapy and the neuro surgeon I saw didn't give me a lot of information about what was causing my pain. He recommended I see a pain management doctor or a neurologist. I'm opting for pain management as I already have an awesome PM doctor, but my DH thinks I should try one or two traction visits. I think he has more faith in the physical therapist than I. Anyway, I'm still on the fence with this but I'm gathering all my records for my pain guy. Take care, Ellena
Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Traction for relief

EE03,
Been there done it. I would highly recommend mechanical traction if for no other reason than to give you some short term relief. We all need a break and traction can offer that break if even for 20 or 30 minutes.
leonard1969 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EE03 (05-01-2009)
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

EE03,

I have problems at L4/L5 and S1 also. The only thing I can add in regards to traction alone is that I was prescribed aqua therapy PT. I can do stretches and such while on land. But I also have pelvic floor dysfunction so I have to be very, very careful with any lumbar exercises. Anyway, while in aqua therapy PT they put 2 lb. ankle weights on me and wrapped a noodle under my arms so that I could float in the deep end. Boy, did that feel GREAT! It was very gentle and for about 15 minutes each time. It felt so good afterwards and helped so much that my husband had a pool put in last summer. So, basically the water is so much easier on the joints while at the same time stretching things out...in a sense. Oh, forgot to add that they also had me do water walking and other things. But nothing so aggressive as to make things worse. I wouldn't call it a cure all because the problems are still there. But it sure helps to manage the pain. Oops, forgot to add I think it's great that you are going to see a pain management doctor. My own is the one that prescribed aqua therapy and insurance covered it. Plus the rehab place I was going to allowed for visits throughout the year once your PT was completed (about 6 weeks). If I remember correctly, it was $5.00 per use (session) if, say, you wanted to go once a week for maintenance.

Last edited by Kathi49; 05-01-2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added more
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EE03 (05-01-2009)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I appreciate everyone's perspective on this. Out of frustration, I made an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor to evaluate everything and point me in the best direction. I did this at the urging of a friend who works at the facility since he had issues with his back and this particular doctor helped put things in perspective for him. Sadly the neurosurgeon I saw didn't explain anything to me which totally @&$%@. He only indicated that I should seek pain management or see a neurologist. Kathi, I already do water therapy including a lot of water traction. Sometimes my back feels better, sometimes not. I also walk on a treadmill and use an eliptical machine. I just don't know what to attribute the pain to and whether or not some of my workout routines are aggravating it or what. I do look at the therapist with a bit of skepticism because of the cost involved. So, I'm not doing anything until I see the orthopedic doctor and get his advice.

These problems are a puzzle to sift through, aren't they?
Thanks again to all who've responded. Take care, EE
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I had 3 bulging discs. L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1. That was almost 24 years ago. That was complicated by a spondylolisthesis (unstable and sliding at L5-S1), a slight scoliosis and a few other things.

In the beginning my toes were numb and I couldn't do much at all. I couldn't do anything really. All my ligaments and muscles or whatever were all giant knots and so darn painful, my physio would come to my bedside and almost carry me to her car and take me to the hot pool. That was wonderful gentle movement in the pool. I was fortunate to have an excellent physiotherapist. These days there are some really good Osteopaths around and I would probably go to one of those for work on the muscles and nerves like jenniferowens mentions in her post (but NOT for any adjustments.)

My Neurologist and Orthopaedic doc. frankly were no where near as helpful. Just my experience though.

As I began to recover more, I did a fair bit of traction. I used to do it at a gym which was attached to a private hospital near where I live and it was set up specifically with traction beds for patients.

My sciatica was shocking for a very long time. I had a twinge yesterday in fact and I remembered that awful sickening feeling that I've not experienced for many, many years thank goodness. I lifted something the wrong way out in the garden yesterday and before I knew it I got the sciatica. It's good today though.

When I was unable to do the traction, I would go to my Physio's office and she had a ladder type contraption on the wall and would have me slowly stretching until I was basically hanging from my hands on the highest rail I could reach. I used to also get what I guess was ultrasound on the ligament knots when they were bad. She used to have me alternating hot and cold packs in the beginning. They were timed. Lots of massage as well.

So, as I got stronger, I ended up getting another opinion from a Rheumatologist. He was super. I have loose ligaments and he helped a lot by recommending certain types of strengthening exercizes, especially for my abdomen. This helped a lot to stabilize my spine.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Everyone is different and you need to just be really careful with what you're doing. I used to be a crazy landscaping home gardener... laying pavers, rolling out the yard with a water filled roller etc.. NOT anymore lol

all the best.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lara, I know the knots in the muscle very well. My neck stays that way and the lower back has its spots that never feel good. I appreciate your candid response and I probably wouldn't be going to an orthopedic doctor if not for the friend I spoke of urgings. He has seen me dealing with this for a long time now and he finally talked to me about it last week. He had a bulging disc for years which then ruptured and he went down hill from there. This doctor was instrumental in his plan of action/care and now he leads a very active life once again and does so with minimal pain. I don't know if thats possible for me, but any improvement in my condition would be greatly welcomed as this pain has gotten really old, really quick. Anyway, I'm optimistic that if nothing else, I should have a better understanding of the cause and where to go from here. Take care
Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 PM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I think you're doing the correct thing. With injuries like that I would also see the Orthopaedic doctor. I saw him and the Neuro. before I did anything else. You don't want to make your condition worse. All the best to you for a speedy recovery. Let us know how you get on.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When I had a herniated disk (before surgery), my PT tried mechanical traction. I let her do it once. I was in absolute agony afterwards. After a subsequent reherniation, I went to a different PT who did a manual traction, almost as part of a back massage. That I could tolerate just fine. I suppose manual traction does help some folks, but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless your orthopedic doc recommends it.

Kay
supernova_krose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EE03 (05-04-2009), Lara (05-03-2009)