Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Explanation of lumbar spine MRI w/o contrast !!!

Can anyone explain to me what is the problem with my low back ?
Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.
My MRI report id as follows:

" CLINICAL INDICATION: Low back pain and lower extremity radiculopathy.

MRI of the lumbar spine w/o contrast.

TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar MRI was performed with sagittal and axial T1 and T2-weighted sequenses.

FINDINGS: The conus medullaris is normal in appearance, terminating at the T12-L1 disc level. The visualized distal thoracic cord is unremarkable.

The T12-L1 disc level is within normal limits.

At L1-L2, there is mild disc desiccation. There is no evidance of disc herniation, cetnral canal or foraminal stenosis.

At L2-L3 , there is mild disc desiccation and a mild disc bulge. There is no evidance of central canal or neural foraminal stenosis.

At L3-L4, there is disc desiccation and a mild disc bulge, with superimposed small focal left foraminal disc protrusion/herniation that mildly encroaches upon the neural foramen, but nerve root impingement. There are early facet degenerative changes. The central canal and right neural foramen are within normal limits. There is minimal, approximately 1-2 mm retrolisthesis of L3 on L4.

At L4-L5, there are mild degenerative disc changes, characterized be disc desiccation and very mild loss of disc height. There is a circumferential disc bulge, with a superimposed central disc protrusion/herniation, with a minimal subligamentous extruded component that impinges upon the anterior thecal sac and which, in combination with facet arthrosis with hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum, result in moderate central canal stenosis. The circumferential disc bulge extends into both neural foramina. There is moderate right and mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

At L5-S1, there is disc desication, a mild disc bulge and facet degenerative changes. There is no evidence of central canal or neural foraminal stenosis.

The visualized thoracolumbar vertrbrae appear intact and demonstrate normal marrow signal.

IMPRESSION:

1. L4-L5 circumferential disc bulge and superimposed central disc protrusion/herniation with a very small subligamentous extruded component that impinges upon the anterioir thecal sac and which, in combination with facet arthrosis and hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum, result in moderate central canal stenosis. There is moderate right and mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

2. L3-L4 mild disc bulge and superimposed focal left foraminal disc protrusion/herniation that mildly encroaches upon the left neural foramen, but without nerve root impingement. There are early facet degenerative changes. The central canal and right neural foramen are within normal limits.

3. L2-L3 and L5-S1 mild disc bulge. "

Thank you so much for your response in advance.
JabbaTheNut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-17-2009, 11:06 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm not a professional...but did live through two herniations and surgery on my lumbar spine.

It sounds like you've got herniations at L3-4 and L4-5, but the one at l4-5 is more likely to be pinching a nerve. Are you having sciatica? What has your doc recommended. When I was in your shoes, I had a micro-discectomy. It rid me of sciatic pain immediately.

The other things are probably minor....disc desiccation means that your discs are essentially drying out and shrinking...it's one of those things that happends with aging.

Hope your doctor has been able to help you.

Kay
supernova_krose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova_krose View Post
I'm not a professional...but did live through two herniations and surgery on my lumbar spine.

It sounds like you've got herniations at L3-4 and L4-5, but the one at l4-5 is more likely to be pinching a nerve. Are you having sciatica? What has your doc recommended. When I was in your shoes, I had a micro-discectomy. It rid me of sciatic pain immediately.

The other things are probably minor....disc desiccation means that your discs are essentially drying out and shrinking...it's one of those things that happends with aging.

Hope your doctor has been able to help you.

Kay
Thanks Kay for your response. I'm waiting for a pain management appt.
What is a micro-discectomy ?
JabbaTheNut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A micro-diskectomy is when they make a small incision, and use a microscope to see what's going on, and the surgeon cuts away part of the herniated disk that is pinching a nerve. I was only in the hospital one night for this procedure. (they also refer to minimally invasive spine surgery, and this is one example).

Have you talked to a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon yet? I had to do pain management first too, because insurance required it, but the surgeon I went to said that I should have had the surgery immediately after the herniation appeared, because I did sustain some permanent nerve damage, and had he operated right away, he didn't think that would have happened.

Good luck,

Kay
supernova_krose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:39 AM #5

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Lumbar MRI reading

I have seen several interpretations of MRI's on here so I going to give this a shot.
I have had low back pain for several years. I have had a couple of MRI's done of my low back as well as X-Rays. Years ago, an X-Ray showed I had cracked my coxes(sp) and an MRI showed slight movement of the Lumbar spine.

I just received the results of a Lumbar MRI and this is what it says:
Indication: Acute Low Back Pain

Sequences: Sagittal T1, sagittal T2, axial T1, axial T2, and sagittal STIR

Findings:
Preserved lumbar lordosis, with mild disc desiccation at L3-4 and L4-5, with subtle loss of disc height. Marrow signal is unremarkable with no evidence of a compression fracture or metastatic disease.

The intraspinal cord, conus medullaris and proximal cauda equina are unremarkable.
The conus is at the expected position.

L1-2 level: Mild broad-based disc bulging, partial flattening of the anterior thecal sac, mild facet arthropathy, with patent neuroformaina.

L2-3 level: Mild hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum, mild facet arthropathy, with patent neuroforamina.

L3-4 level: Mild broad-based disc bulging, partial flattening of the anterior thecal sac, mild hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum, mild facet arthropathy, with enferior neuroforaminal narrowing.

L4-5 level: Moderate broad-based disc bulging, indentation of the anterior thecal sac, mild hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum, mild facet arthropathy, with inferior neuroforaminal narrowing.

L5-S1 level: Mild disc bulging, mild indentation of the anterior thecal sac, mild hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum, mild facet arthropathy, with inferior neuroforaminal narrowing.

Impression:
No Acute Osseous Process
MILD TO MODERATE, MULTILEVEL LUMBAR DEGENERATIVE CHANGES, FROM l1-s1, WITH MILD DISCOPATHY (MILD DESICCATION AT L3-L5), FACET ARTHROPATHY, ANDD NEUROFORAMINAL NARROWING, PREDOMINANT AT L4-5
blgreens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote