advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Member needing help

I just stumbled onto this site and am overwhelmed with the information but I'm finding it hard to navigate. Briefly my story:

59M, I was told by a family practitioner about 5 years ago that I had idio pn. It never really progressed beyond the front part of both feet and only got painful in the evening. I lived with it and it hasn't gotten worse till a couple months ago when I had a high ankle sprain. I thought that when the ankle healed it would get better but it hasn't. Recently I got an infection on my left calf from a dog bite and now that foot has also worsened. And, it isn't just in the evening but most of the day.

My question is: since I would like to try B12 and supplements, is there a place where I can basically get a list of what I should start taking to try it out? I never went to a neurologist because it wasn't getting worse but now I guess I will. I'd like to try supplements now though, while I'm arranging for the neurologist. Thanks much in advance!
woof is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

An addition to my post above

Can anyone recommend a neurologist in Ohio, pref Columbus? Thanks again
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi and Welcome
I moved your posts off the sticky thread as they are more likely to be noticed here and get replies

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

Hi, Woof...

I am thinking you should get an evaluation for RSD. This type of neuropathy involves spreading after injury. There can be discoloration of the area involved. Do you have that? Or persistent swelling?

Also what antibiotic were you given? Was it Cipro or Levaquin?
These drugs can cause neuropathy.

The ankle has ligaments to hold it together, and if they get too tight, then they compress the nerves going to the foot. This is called tarsal tunnel syndrome. The injury to the ankle could cause compression there for you. A good podiatrist should be able to check this out for you.

We can get to the supplements in a bit.
So before starting supplements you need some further evaluation.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I did have discoloration and swelling as you would expect both with the sprained ankle and with the infection that followed the dog bite, but some pn or something like it was there years before the injury. The trauma is very different to each leg but both seem to have caused the pn on that side to get worse, or maybe it is a coincidence.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If you want to start B12, that can be done. It is pretty easy.

Here is a thread with general information on it:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

Since you are going to a doctor, you can ask for Metanx.
It is the RX version with B12, activated B6 and methylfolate in it.

See how that works for 2-3 months.

There are many causes of PN. Typically the causes, hint at what supplements to start with.

Alcohol induced PN or diabetic== benfotiamine + B12

Drug induced == acetyl carnitine + CoQ-10 + lipoic acid

Diabetic== lipoic acid + benfotiamine+ chromium (optional)+ diet+medications for blood sugar

These are just generalizations.
B12 is used by just about everyone. If you are over 50 it is recommended for you just "because".

Get tested for Vit D also. Many people with chronic pain have low Vit D levels it has recently been found.

Pain in the balls of the feet that never spread until you injured yourself, may not be PN. You may have some foot problem, that is independent of it. Pain that remains after an injury may point to RSD...which involves the sympathetic nerves.
Once PN starts to spread you need to be evaluated for CMT and
autoimmune factors. Autoimmune neuropathy may be treated with specific anti-inflammatory drugs and/or with IVIG.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 AM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi. Since Mrs D suggested you may want to look into RSD and I have this in addition to PN I was going to suggest going to Cleveland Clinic but that is in Cleveland Ohio. I am sure a neuro there would have knowledge and if you do have possible RSD there are pain doctors who deal with that but also neuropathy. I am curious on how your family dx you. What tests have you had? Can you ask your family doctor to run labwork on you now?
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the responses. The family doctor 5 years ago said it was idio pn based on my description (numbness, tingling, burning, etc) and because she did a touch test and a balance test. She said it was idiopathic because my glucose test was normal.

I'm in the process of getting a new family doctor who is with Ohio State University Family Practice. My appt with him is in 2 weeks but before then I thought I may as well try B12.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cleveland clinic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
Hi. Since Mrs D suggested you may want to look into RSD and I have this in addition to PN I was going to suggest going to Cleveland Clinic but that is in Cleveland Ohio. I am sure a neuro there would have knowledge and if you do have possible RSD there are pain doctors who deal with that but also neuropathy. I am curious on how your family dx you. What tests have you had? Can you ask your family doctor to run labwork on you now?
I have just been diagnosed with small fiber polyneuropathy (both feet up to knees and both hands, one up past elbow). I visited the Cleveland clinic and they were great! Only people who understood and knew what they were doing. Dr Ginny Tavee was one who was great. Take a look at there .
kevin57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote