advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question I am really annoyed...any help?

I am so annoyed... I thought my feet might actually be getting better.... or somewhat, anyway. I am actually able to walk now (thank you super duper cushy sneakers) without being in agony for the next 24-48 hours... and was able to go to the gym and do weights...so I thought I would try going back to aqua aerobics (so fun!)... however, my feet really seem to object to it... they were burning and on fire... like every nerve in them was jangling... I know you all understand... they hadn't been that bad for months. (that really made me mad ). My mom kept insisting maybe my fibromyalgia was making things worse, and that everyone who had fibro has these problems the first few times they exercise, but it will get better- I don't know about this... all I know is that my PN is not happy about Aqua Aerobics... and I am wondering if anyone has any tips of how they help their feet (or other body parts) that flare up after or during exercise... Any help is appreciated... I really want to take this class!

Macophile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I tried pool therapy once a few years ago but am thinking about doing it again. On a daily basis I wear shoes every moment I am up because without I feel knives and broken ankle. I am concernd about that in the pool but was hoping with the less pressure it may be ok. I do know they have water shoes if you can tolerate. Also a key is water temp because that was what went wrong in my pool therapy because the temp was too cool which sent a flare up. I am not sure about PT in the whole as I am not at that point but I do walk on my own daily. It is a catch 22 and I know one has to be in more pain sometimes to feel the long term benefit but there is some pain that is just too much. Keep trying to find what works
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

When you walk in the water, do you flex your foot, and walk more on the BALLS of both feet?

I find flexing the foot very bad for me. I have to be careful of certain types of shoes, etc.

If you think the flexing is the problem, I'd see a foot doctor and have some Xrays done if you haven't already. The little sesamoid bones in the ball of the foot, can really HURT, if damaged or if out of place. Or you may have arthritis of the big toe.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
When you walk in the water, do you flex your foot, and walk more on the BALLS of both feet?

I find flexing the foot very bad for me. I have to be careful of certain types of shoes, etc.

If you think the flexing is the problem, I'd see a foot doctor and have some Xrays done if you haven't already. The little sesamoid bones in the ball of the foot, can really HURT, if damaged or if out of place. Or you may have arthritis of the big toe.
We do walking of all types in the pool... but especially on the balls of the feet... I have been told by my dr's that I have very little padding on the bottoms of my feet (hence the cushy sneakers). I just wish there was something I could do to avoid the flare... like numbing the bottom of my feet, or somehow finding insoles for my water shoes to make them like my sneakers.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
I tried pool therapy once a few years ago but am thinking about doing it again. On a daily basis I wear shoes every moment I am up because without I feel knives and broken ankle. I am concernd about that in the pool but was hoping with the less pressure it may be ok. I do know they have water shoes if you can tolerate. Also a key is water temp because that was what went wrong in my pool therapy because the temp was too cool which sent a flare up. I am not sure about PT in the whole as I am not at that point but I do walk on my own daily. It is a catch 22 and I know one has to be in more pain sometimes to feel the long term benefit but there is some pain that is just too much. Keep trying to find what works
I'm with you there.. without some cushioning under my feet it feels like I am walking on bone and it triggers flares within minutes. And the more cushioning the better... it was only recently when I got super cushy sneaks that I was able to walk anywhere at all. I just wish the watershoes are cushy. (I have ones from lands end)

I knever thought of water temp... but it never seems very cold...

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default We lose muscle tone in our feet thru disuse...

Regaining it is a bum deal. In working those minute and fragile muscles a lot of pain can result...
Your options are to find something squishy underfoot always or to rebuild the muscles. PT options are very limited in this area for some unknown reason.
I've found marbles.... about a dozen, on a tray to pick up between the toes and drop into a dish on same tray helps a lot. Start with one or two rounds of this each day and build up... Most other exercises did zip.
After I'd done this a couple of weeks, my feet HURT! But it went away AND I could actually FEEL more muscle tone in the feet, as long as I kept it up.
Remember start out very slowly 4-5 days at at time before you up the 'ante' so to speak. Going easy is safer and involves less pain.
Hope for the best and keep us up to date soon - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
Regaining it is a bum deal. In working those minute and fragile muscles a lot of pain can result...
Your options are to find something squishy underfoot always or to rebuild the muscles. PT options are very limited in this area for some unknown reason.
I've found marbles.... about a dozen, on a tray to pick up between the toes and drop into a dish on same tray helps a lot. Start with one or two rounds of this each day and build up... Most other exercises did zip.
After I'd done this a couple of weeks, my feet HURT! But it went away AND I could actually FEEL more muscle tone in the feet, as long as I kept it up.
Remember start out very slowly 4-5 days at at time before you up the 'ante' so to speak. Going easy is safer and involves less pain.
Hope for the best and keep us up to date soon - j
I'm afraid this is confusing me... isn't padding on the bottom of your feet just that- padding- fat?
And How exactly are you doing this pick up thing (I was always very good at picking things up with my toes) and how many marble/what size... etc... I'm just having trouble visualizing, and I'm a very visual person...

Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 AM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I was looking online and there are some shoes for the water that look like they have more support that may be an idea. I am not sure if I could handle that as I keep reordering the same style of nike walking shoes and have them in a varied amount of sizes for my swelling vs non swelling days.
On a side not I am confused is it that the class they want you to walk on the ball or you need to? I ask because me on my tip toe would equal days in bed from pain so I would have to keep flat. I would think if safe and just not doing things fully it is still a step in the right direction
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

We just bought two pairs of Speedo water shoes at Costco this weekend for our summer place. They were $19.99 and very nice.
They have a tougher top to protect the toes, and a cushioned
insole that is removable for drying.
This is a picture of them.

But with swimming pool rules, they may not let them in. Germs/dirt and all that? If you had a pair just for that pool, and kept them there, they might let you do it.

I bought the men's in a smaller size, because they are wider, and I now need the wider toe box. The men's are black and gray only, no pink for them!

Our summer place has only rocks, and very little sand. So we need foot protection. These are the nicest ever..that I have found. In the old days we just wore old tennies, and those were not great, and never dried out well.

This link is for the picture only...as an example:
http://stores.mailcar.net/catalog/in...ALS%208%20Pink

Amazon has these along with reviews by people who have bought them. Some say they wore them in water aerobics (one person said the water aerobics hurt his feet without them).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
I was looking online and there are some shoes for the water that look like they have more support that may be an idea. I am not sure if I could handle that as I keep reordering the same style of nike walking shoes and have them in a varied amount of sizes for my swelling vs non swelling days.
On a side not I am confused is it that the class they want you to walk on the ball or you need to? I ask because me on my tip toe would equal days in bed from pain so I would have to keep flat. I would think if safe and just not doing things fully it is still a step in the right direction
Oh, no the class asks you to walk on your whole foot, but somehow I end up walking on the balls... it seems more natural to me? I need more cushioning than support I think... I am super sensitive...

Tags
exercise, feet pain, fibromyalgia, periperal neuropathy