Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Dog washing

I apparently am the only one who can wash my cousins dog... everyone else- even family she tried to bite because she is so terrified- we think that when she was abandoned as a small puppy someone abused her...so I have been trying to do a good job, but I am afraid I am not using the right soap and stuff... I know you are not supposed to use human Shampoo, but I am not sure what type of dog shampoo would work the best... I want something that rinses out quick, as she is always trying to escape the tub, and if you don't work fast enough her scrambling will eventually land you a scratch or two from her nails. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Macophile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (05-26-2009)

advertisement
Old 05-26-2009, 06:04 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Boy, I don't know. There are so many shampoos out there. I use an oatmeal based doggie shampoo. But then Bruna is easy to wash she's so small.

I wouldn't use a medicated shampoo as I believe those can be harsh on the animal's skin.

I wonder if all dogs are scared to death of water hoses. When I was watering my garden, Bruna saw the hose and water and shrieked and tried to run. I have a feeling that if she ever got washed in that puppy mill, it was probably by being hosed down in her cage with cold water, but I'm just guessing.

I hope someone comes along with some good suggestions. It is SO nice of you to do that job!

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

My groomer used Dawn on a lot of the dogs - got the stink off and rinsed out quick. Never hurt my dog, and she had sensitive skin. I'm using some expensive ($12? I think) stuff for sensitive dogs with a conditioner, but it does not rinse out fast. Conditioner... that takes forever to get out. But Millie is so dry.

Just check at Petco or wherever. You'll see one that looks good.

Anyhoo, Rudy used to freak in the tub too. And this will sound mean but I love him like a baby and would never be mean, you know? I just want him to be good. He's unhappy if he's misbehaving. So I put his choke chain and leash on in the tub and just tell him NO!! when he even thinks about jumping or whining.

He was abandonned and abused, and yet he trusted me, or tried to, right away. It's been a long 3 years, building that trust, really. But he is a great dog.

It's the hardest thing in the world NOT to pity him, to say NO to him. But it is the right thing.

He needs someone to be in charge, because then he feels safe. When I have a hold of his leash, he feels safe and he knows he cannot drown, I will tell him how to be good - then he can make me happy. And that is all Rudy wants in this world, to be safe and make me happy.

See? It's not mean, it's kind.

And after the bath, there are dog bones and he knows it. And it's all good.

Sounds like that dog trusts you more than anyone, so you're doing something right. You must have a way with dogs.

Now Mildred, she'll come and ask for a bath. She loves it. She'll downright demand a bath. Never saw anything like that!

And my bird bathes himself, which is better yet.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingonebad
My groomer used Dawn on a lot of the dogs - got the stink off and rinsed out quick. Never hurt my dog, and she had sensitive skin. I'm using some expensive ($12? I think) stuff for sensitive dogs with a conditioner, but it does not rinse out fast. Conditioner... that takes forever to get out. But Millie is so dry.

Just check at Petco or wherever. You'll see one that looks good.

Anyhoo, Rudy used to freak in the tub too. And this will sound mean but I love him like a baby and would never be mean, you know? I just want him to be good. He's unhappy if he's misbehaving. So I put his choke chain and leash on in the tub and just tell him NO!! when he even thinks about jumping or whining.

He was abandonned and abused, and yet he trusted me, or tried to, right away. It's been a long 3 years, building that trust, really. But he is a great dog.

It's the hardest thing in the world NOT to pity him, to say NO to him. But it is the right thing.

He needs someone to be in charge, because then he feels safe. When I have a hold of his leash, he feels safe and he knows he cannot drown, I will tell him how to be good - then he can make me happy. And that is all Rudy wants in this world, to be safe and make me happy.

See? It's not mean, it's kind.

And after the bath, there are dog bones and he knows it. And it's all good.

Sounds like that dog trusts you more than anyone, so you're doing something right. You must have a way with dogs.

Now Mildred, she'll come and ask for a bath. She loves it. She'll downright demand a bath. Never saw anything like that!

And my bird bathes himself, which is better yet.
Hmmm... I never thought of using the leash in the tub, as I usually take off her collar to bathe her... But I always hold her while I bathe her... or at least one part of her (usually I have one hand or arm under her front...this usually can prevent jumping out of the tub and tells her she is with me, and it is ok... she also needs a lot of soothing talk- and the occasional "no" and "wait" command, and when she is done she always gets some fresh meat -usually chicken or beef- as a special reward) She is a medium size dog, so it is hard to hold her completely- she is an Australian Cattle Dog- so I usually sit on the side of the tub with my feet in there with her.-she likes to lean against them.

Macophile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

ACD's are really strong for their size, so good for you, being able to bathe her.

I'd have to guess that you going into the tub with her makes her feel safer - *If it's okay for you, it must be okay for me, too*

You use your instincts, and that's why this is working out. Meat for a treat? Good job.

If she gets walked on a leash, the leash should mean someone is in charge of her, in her mind. This is why I advised it, along with some way to keep a grip on a slippery dog. It's mental as much as physical.

My dogs are all tiny - and the hyper one in particular benefits from feeling like someone is controlling him. When that's the case, he calms right down. You can do anything to that dog - Rudy- when he's on leash.

I will say this about choke chain collars. I never used them till I was taught how. My dogs do not pull and choke. The collar stays slack unless I'm correcting, then I give a little yank and say NO! and quickly release. If they do what they're supposed to, I say Good!

The yank is just to the point where they hear the rattle of a few links, not to tighten around their throat.

The first time I wanted to walk any of these dogs, I had to wrestle the collars/leashes on. The second time, they all came and laid down, wagging. They hear those chokers rattle and they are yapping and jumping at the door, so you know they love it and it's not hurting them.