Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 2 Thoracic Fusions and Fibromyalgia

Maybe a few of you folks on here might have some helpful suggestions. Background: 34 yr F with scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, and very active fibromyalgia. In November T7-8 herniated disc was pressing on my spinal cord, so they did an emergency fusion of those discs, with a piece of my rib bone, and a rod and 2 screws. In March, 3 months ago, the same disc herniated out the other side, but worse, and they did another emergency fusion and fused T7-T11, now I have 3 rods and several screws. The doctors say it can take up to 2 years for full bone fusion to occur. The healing is going very slowly. It hurts to sit for long periods of time, usually more than an hour and I'm done, I have trouble bending forward to reach my toes, it hurts to get in and out of bed and the car. I am not starting physical therapy till the 2nd week in July. I tried doing some stretches and gentle excercises and I ended up in bed in agony. I am so depressed! How am I supposed to figure out where to stop? I felt no pain when I did the exercises, the next 2 days I can barely move! Any suggestions? ~Crystal
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mistiis (06-17-2009)

advertisement
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So sorry you are having such a hard time Crystal. Have you tried water therapy?? Heat therapy?? Cold therapy?? What kind of bed do you sleep in, and have you had a therapist work with you on positioning, and how to get in and out, and up and down, etc?? I hope you can find some better help.

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Thoreau

~ You can give without loving, but you cannot love
without giving. ~
mistiis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello there

Hi Mistiis; How are you? Thanks for taking interest. Some days are better than others, I'm not sleeping well, so I'm tired, I've had horrible memory issues these days, and I am getting easilly confused these days, so I'm getting frustrated. I start pool therapy at the second week in July and I use heating pads or patches, Tiger balm, Lidoderm, icyhot type stuff, whatever works at the moment. We have a full size mattress, with one year old mattress set, and 2 temperpedic mattress pads on top of that.
As far work with me literally, no, just verbally told, ( she was sitting right next to me), ya think she woulda helped?! I just hope I come through it with my husband still loving and patient and accepting as he is now! Talk to ya soon, I'm going to bed.
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default pain management?

Hi,
Saw your post, have you tried any pain management?

Bill
bbuhlman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote