Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default decreasing ability to deal with stress

I am noticing I have alot harder time multi tasking and dealing with stress. Between my working full time, recovering from 3 level spinal fusion and extreme personal issues with children (1 adult child thrown in jail over weekend) I am just a basket case. This weekend was extreme, I know anyone would have troubles with this past weekend, but every day things. I sometimes just want to stay home and go to my room and pittle all day long. Things are getting harder and harder to handle. My neuro switched my anti depressants and I am now on lexapro but it doesn't seem to be cutting the blues that great. I am still in constant pain from back surgery and trying to hold down full time job. I am 60 yrs old, dealing with parkinsons and am really not doing well. Just need to vent and can't do too much of that right now as I am at work. I just want to cry. I am falling apart I think.
libra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hang in there, Libra - stress is a killer - at least you've recognized it.

Have you tried Effexor? Is for both depression and anxiety; I've been on it for about 8 or 9 years with tremendous success; doesn't solve everything, but gives me some equilibrium.

Any chance of quitting your job? I'm 51; haven't worked for 6 years; was tough to quit, but my health has improved (while my bank account has shrunk - but it is worth it).

Take care - you can get through this.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Here is a good example of the choice our society gives us - work until you drop. Safety net my rump!

libra- Dump the job if at all possible. It isn't just that the PD is making the stress worse. It is also true that the job stress is making the PD worse and it isn't ground easily reclaimed. I know that quitting brings its own stress and that's the reason for my opening grump. You shouldn't be in this position.

Seems to me that there should be a big section of the Book dedicated to the cruelty of our society in this area. Stress is just as real and just as deadly as pesticides and they expect us to take it. I say that if they take my tax dollar that creates a contract and we have the right to support in this area.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dear Libra!

My heart goes out to you. I don't know how you are managing to hold things together with everything that's going on in your life now. Any one of your difficulties can knock out a person. I am crying with you. Ibby, fella Libran
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Libra,
So sorry to hear all you are going through! Anyone, PD or not, would have difficulty coping with what life has thrown your way - when it rains it pours sometimes And when you throw depression into the mix, that only amplifies your stress and adversely affects your ability to cope. If you've given the Lexapro sufficient time to become effective, then you should followup with your physician to manage that -either change the dose or the medication.

Obviously getting rid of the stress of having a job would be a bonus but only you know whether that's feasible or not. Is working part-time an option? With my work, I've been able to cut down to 2 1/2 - 3 days per week which is a good balance for me. What are your disability options? Here in Canada, we have can apply for the Canadian Pension Plan Disability benefit, which is a governmentally funded program. Is there such a program in the U.S.?

As for venting, it's great that you are! Expressing your frustration is healthy and important. And this seems like a good place to do just that!
Keep strong and remember to take care of yourself during your post-op recovery...
Soania
Soania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question very hard decision

with the economy the way it is, you feel you must hold on to your job. I still have 2 kids in college too. I am going to wait and see if this slow recovery from back surgery does get better. If not, I am going to try to get out on long term disability from back or parkinsons. The long term disability plan where I work is very good.
I have been on lexapro for 4 weeks now, the max dosage. I have suffered depression for so long and been on so many anti depressants I can't remember them all.But I will give it a little longer and then return to doc on that issue.
I appreciate everyone's comments. I would truly love to just quit working, but am still so hesistant because of economy. I just can't imagine how much easier and more relaxing my life will be when I am not working.
There is also the catch 22, do I work as long as I can, but by then be too sick to enjoy retirement. Or do I quit earlier, get less money for retirement, but live longer and not be soo sick I can't enjoy retirement.
I know the 2nd option is definitaly the best. I just have to do it.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments. I would truly love to just quit working, but am still so hesistant because of economy. I just can't imagine how much easier and more relaxing my life will be when I am not working.
There is also the catch 22, do I work as long as I can, but by then be too sick to enjoy retirement. Or do I quit earlier, get less money for retirement, but live longer and not be soo sick I can't enjoy retirement.
I know the 2nd option is definitaly the best. I just have to do it.
Remember that stress really exacerbates your health. Definitely trying to limit that in your life, at least what you can control, will help. I fully understand what you mean about the economy...I am a teacher looking for a position this fall. It all depends on your situation at work and benefits, but is there any way you can take a leave of some sort, I think FMLA covers you if you are not well, or a personal leave, to think about it and at least limit your work-related stress for the time being? Just a thought.

Hang in there....

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default yes I am going to

pursue this. I am making an appt with my neuro today to talk about the best way to deal with this. To see if I am eligible for ltd because I have alot of knotted muscles in my right shoulder and it is always higher than left. Dystonia I believe. That is actually my worst pd symptom - dystonia. Anyway I will be following up on your advice and my best interests. Thank you for your help everyone. At least now I know this is something I do need to do and can't wait any longer.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default suggestion

libra-
You might want to consider seeing a sympathetic psychologist as well. That might help with the insurance companies.

Also, go to my Parkinson's and Stress Project and download the PDF there. It might come in handy. Good luck.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra View Post
pursue this. I am making an appt with my neuro today to talk about the best way to deal with this. To see if I am eligible for ltd because I have alot of knotted muscles in my right shoulder and it is always higher than left. Dystonia I believe. That is actually my worst pd symptom - dystonia. Anyway I will be following up on your advice and my best interests. Thank you for your help everyone. At least now I know this is something I do need to do and can't wait any longer.
Good for you! It's important to take charge of what you can. Please keep us posted on how it goes

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote