ALS For support and discussion of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease." In memory of BobbyB.

advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Smile Friends grant Christmas wish

Friends grant Christmas wish
December 21,2006
KELLEY CHAMBERS
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Holiday cheer: Ted Walker, immobilized by ALS, takes in the Christmas decorations in his Woodhaven Drive yard with his wife Mary.

Ted Walker’s dream finally came true.

He had anticipated it for weeks, but even when the weather turned mild, the Kris Kringle of Onslow County wasn’t sure it would happen.

Tuesday night Walker felt a cool breeze on his face amid the sea of twinkling lights and ornaments in his front yard. It was the first time he had been outside since February.

Family and friends gathered with Walker to reveal the winter wonderland he had been hearing so much about. He is, after all, the mastermind of the 30-year tradition of lights at his Jacksonville home at 303 Woodhaven Drive. Tuesday, he saw his masterpiece for the first time in three years.

“I didn’t know I had so much junk out here,” Walker said, laughing.

Then, he began to cry.

Walker, 77, has been battling amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, for several years. Commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease, ALS attacks the nervous system, causing paralysis and ultimately death.

Bedridden, Walker has lost most muscle coordination and is beginning to lose the ability to speak. To those who know him, though, he’s the same old Santa who for years greeted guests at his home.

“He’s still got a good sense of humor,” said Rod Martin, a friend who helped spearhead the decorating efforts at the Walkers’ this year. “Christmas is very special to him, obviously, and has always been a big deal to him. But he feels it’s been taken away with his disease.”

Walker’s condition is deteriorating and loved ones wonder if this will be his last Christmas. Their goal has been to give him what he has lived for all these years — a truly magical holiday season surrounded by friends, family and, of course, his treasured Christmas decorations.

“It’s a good feeling to know we’re doing it again this year,” said Walker’s son, Robert.

Santa, the main attraction at the Walkers’ for years, will return once again to Woodhaven Drive from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday. All are invited to share in the magic created especially for the retired sergeant major.

“For never having seen my yard or my decorations, they did a pretty darn good job of putting them up,” said Walker’s wife, Mary.

For the past three years, the Walkers’ house had been on a holiday hiatus. Disease crippled not only Walker but in essence, an age-old family tradition.

A decorated war hero who served twice in Vietnam, Walker retired from the Marine Corps in 1976 and vowed to make up for lost time.

“(Dad) originally did it for us but realized that, living in a military town, we weren’t the only kids without a parent on Christmas,” Robert Walker said. “A lot of kids don’t have mommies or daddies there and this might be the bright side of the season for them.”

During their big nights, Walker was always in the background watching the magic unfold.

“Most of the time nobody even knew who he was,” Robert said. “He was the behind-the-scenes man.”

As his disease worsened, however, Walker became bedridden and Mary retired her crimson Mrs. Claus dress to be her husband’s caretaker. On his birthday in April, his one wish was to see his holiday lights glow one more time.

Since then, family members, fellow church members, and friends like Martin and former co-worker Brenda Huan pulled out 34 years worth of Christmas decorations and produced in a few days what used to take the entire Walker family two weeks to achieve.

“This was something he wanted and the biggest thing for us is making his wish come true,” said Huan. “He still has his birthday banner up, though, so I’m afraid he won’t let us clean up the yard afterward.”

Looking at the hand-made wooden reindeer and plastic figures strategically placed about, Walker was pleased but of course gave one last critique.

“There’s not enough stuff in the yard,” Walker said. “I don’t think there’s too much.”

When asked why he had committed himself to decades of what became a sort of public service, Walker’s answer was simple: “For the kids.”

Although he was only allowed 15 minutes of outdoor time, a little coffee and lighthearted conversation permitted Walker to linger nearly two hours. It was a sight Mary said she will never forget.

“We may do it again Friday but we’ll need to check the weather,” Mary said. “To see how he’s totally enjoyed it, all I can say is we’ve been very blessed.”

Robert said he saw his father go back in time that night, tapping into old holiday memories that began right where he sat.

“I look at dad as Father Christmas — he has that spirit,” said Robert, who will play Santa this year. “All Ted (Jr.) and I did was fulfill part of his dream.”

Contact Kelley Chambers at kchambers@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, Ext. 235.

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-21-2006, 11:15 AM #2
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Heart

awww...what a wonderful thing they did for him. made me cry.

his yard looks wonderful!!!!

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote