advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Approved..but maybe not/payments

Okay first of all, I am really really depressed now after reading a bunch of threads. I got a letter saying they found me disabled blah blah blah...and there was no need to go to a hearing, etc...Just saturday I got the letter. I went Tuesday to the ss office to do my nonmed info. She told me I would get my first check in 2 weeks and then installments of my backpay, etc... (I applied 2 years ago) my dad just applied months ago and won right away and got his within 2 weeks of his decision. He must have been lucky. Now I see everyone is having to wait many weeks or months for theirs. Is this true for everyone? Or did Social Security and my atty lie to me?

Also I was told now it might go to appeals and I will lose my decision.
xmelax36 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

When I was approved there was a waiting period before I got my first check. I don't remember how long it was but I know it was definitely longer than 2 weeks.

Are you talking about SSDI or just SSI?
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmelax36 View Post
Okay first of all, I am really really depressed now after reading a bunch of threads. I got a letter saying they found me disabled blah blah blah...and there was no need to go to a hearing, etc...Just saturday I got the letter. I went Tuesday to the ss office to do my nonmed info. She told me I would get my first check in 2 weeks and then installments of my backpay, etc... (I applied 2 years ago) my dad just applied months ago and won right away and got his within 2 weeks of his decision. He must have been lucky. Now I see everyone is having to wait many weeks or months for theirs. Is this true for everyone? Or did Social Security and my atty lie to me?

Also I was told now it might go to appeals and I will lose my decision.
Perhaps your dad is more severely disabled than you. Perhaps your dad had more evidence than you. Perhaps your dad prepared his claim better than you. Some claims are denied. Some are approved. Every day. Some claims are approved after years of appeals. Some claims are never approved.

All ALJ decisions and all DDS decisions are subject to review and reversal. Rarely happens.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:27 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown

I have mulitiple disabilites (all pretty much stemmed from the brain problem) anyway, I had an attorney and he did not. My attorney prepared it not me. It was not me who was not better prepared. He just went in and applied and they got his medical records for him and was approved.

Also, to the person who first replied to me it is both ssdi and ssi if that helps. Thank you so much.

Also now I got a letter from my ssa office and I have to wait another 2 weeks for ANOTHER appt! They are making fill out an app again for my dependent. Ugh...so it will be longer. I am sure the back pay will suck too.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default benefits

I won on June 24th and will get my first payment the second Wed in August. The backpay however can take months to get.
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:56 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dear Hoosier_Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy View Post
I won on June 24th and will get my first payment the second Wed in August. The backpay however can take months to get.
Did you have both SSD and SSI? I just wondered if it is the same wait for both. I was told SSI was taken care of at the local office and SSD was at another office (main one I guess like maryland or somewhere). Thanks so much.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown

Also at the local office she said that she doesn't take care of or know what is going on with the SSD because it is not with their office and has nothing to do with their office. I am confused. So does that mean I can get my SSD possibly before my SSI is taken care of? I mean is that possible? Thanks so much.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,
You said your Dad applied and had no problems, that probably has a lot to do with his age. Age can make a big difference in how fast you get approved.
Linda
LindaM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xmelax36 (07-28-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 11:46 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown

I talked to the Social Security office yesterday about how much it will be and all (got my award letter in the mail) and about SSI and stuff. She said that a check for $9000 was mailed out yesterday. So I was shocked. She said that is what the system says. So I should get it tomorrow or Monday. It sucks that opening a new acct that it will be held for 9 days or more. ugh! So it was like around 2 weeks just like the lady said in the beginning and like my dad had too. She said that it is different for every case. Some do take longer than others and some take less time. Oh and my atty got his payment 3 or 4 days ago.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Congrats on getting your approval

first thing, so happy you got your letter, that is very nerve racking.i don't know if you have been told you that ss disablity goes by your birthday, when you get it every month, ssi is at the first of the month. Also you will get your check (back pay) you take that to your lawyer and they take their % and write you another check, that you put in your bank. Also it is good idea to do direct deposit, you are sure your money is there, then with the way they are closing certain days for saving money, yours will still be put in your account, you won't have to wait for their next work day, or what for post office, if they are not open. Just some ideas.
LESS PAIN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote