advertisement

Old 12-22-2006, 09:08 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Is maltodextrin OK?

I think I know the answer to this, that it is OK, and has nothing to do with malt, but I thought I had better check it with the "experts" here, since it seems like every other ingredient list I look at includes maltodextrin.
Plus I don't think the question has been asked yet on the forum, so your answers will help build our database of useful info.
Hugs,

advertisement
Old 12-22-2006, 11:14 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yup...

Here's some info I've gathered on Maltodextrin.

http://www.clanthompson.com/res_info...&category_id=4

Quote:
Maltodextrin: Gluten free: Unknown. Vegetarian: Yes. Comments: Derived from cornstarch, potato starch or rice starch when listed on foods in the US. However, this doesn't apply to vitamin/mineral supplements or to US meds.

Celiac.com's Forbidden Food Ingredient list

Quote:
8 ) Maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato. This rule does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications.(2) Donald Kasarda Ph.D., a research chemist specializing on grain proteins, of the United States Department of Agriculture, found that all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch, using enzymes that are NOT derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. On that basis he believes that celiacs need not be too concerned about maltodextrins, though he cautions that there is no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change their process to use wheat starch or a gluten-based enzyme in the future. (3) - May 1997 Sprue-Nik News
1. Federal Register (4-1-96) 21 CFR. Ch.1, Section 184.1444
2."Additives Alert", an information sheet from the Greater Philadelphia Celiac Support Group, updated early in 1997. This specific information comes from Nancy Patin Falini, the dietitian advisor for the group and a speaker at a national celiac conferences in the past few years.
3. From the CELLIAC Listserv archives, on the Internet, Donald D. Kasarda, posted November 6, 1996.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyou.../malto_two.htm

Quote:
Q. Does Maltodextrin have Malt in it? Is it OK for gluten free diets?
Mary
A.

Maltodextrin is made from corn. Basically it is starch that has been broken down into smaller molecules, so it is pretty easy to digest. Maltodextrin does not contain malt. Maltodextrin is used as an added ingredient in foods to enhance flavors and texture. It is also found in a lot of nutritional supplements. Maltodextrin doesn't contain any gluten and should be safe for gluten free diets.
http://glutenfreeliving.com/ingredients.html

Quote:
Maltodextrin
When labeled as “maltodextrin” in the US, this ingredient must be made from corn, potato or rice but not wheat. Confusion comes from the name. Malt is usually made from barley and dextrin can be made from wheat. But maltodextrin is gluten free. Recently there has been some evidence that wheat might be used to produce maltodextrin. If it is, the label will specifically say “wheat maltodextrin” or “maltodextrin (wheat).”

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:30 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face most

here in USA comes from corn.

However, even before I went GF, I identified this ingredient as a huge
GI disrupter for me. And I don't know why, but it makes me very ill.

It is the main ingredient in Barium Xray contrast media. It is also in a product
for people who have G-tubes called Thick-it.

If it is down on the ingredient list like in the flavorings section, it doesn't bother me. But if it is FIRST like with NutraSweet or Splenda, well, that is not so good.
It gives me the Big D. It is a laxative bomb for me.

So others out there may be sensitive to it. Another hidden laxative is
sorbitol, so watch out for that baby too!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Anything ending in -ol is a sugar alcohol and many of them cause gas and if you eat enough, diarrhea. Things like Malitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol (to a lesser extent) all are sugar alcohols. Things end in -ose are sugars: sucrose, glucose, fructose, dextrose.

There is one sugar alcohol that doesn't cause gas or diarrhea because it is excreted via urine, doesn't gone down the intestines and feed the bacteria, it is called erithrytol or erythritol, can't quite remember where the y goes.

You can actually get splenda dilluted in water as opposed to maltodextrin but it is hard to get ahold of.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:24 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Polydrexine

Is this a funny EUropean name to cover their buts? I have never seen it before. Perhaps it has nothing to do with anything.
Hanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:03 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, everyone. I had done my research beforehand, and was pretty sure from what I read that it was a sugar type thing, made from corn starch. But I had not read anywhere that it could possibly be an iffy thing in medication or vitamins. So I'm glad I posted the question. Plus, like I said, it all helps build the data base.
Hugs to all,