Sanctuary for Spiritual Support This "Sanctuary" is a place for people of all spiritual beliefs and faiths to offer support and compassion to each other in the form of prayers, meditation, and expressions of spirituality. This forum is for support, not religious debate.

advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused I don't want to hurt my Spirit

I have heard that among the best of reasons not to do mind/mood-altering drugs [both illicit and prescribed unless the latter is necessary for your/others safety/functioning]. I already suffer great memory loss from antidepressants I have done down through the years, even though these are not considered drugs of abuse. I have been researching Electroconvulsive Therapy/ECT because my psychiatrist is insisting on it. I have heard those who have had it say that it left them without thoughts of any kind. None of you can know this, but do you think that I would be in danger of severing my relationship with God if I went through with ECT? I know this question has no answer, but I thought maybe some of you had had this experience or knew someone who had and might be able to offer an opinion. Thanks so very much! billie
billie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (08-04-2009)

advertisement
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 PM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Confused

Billie,

This is only MY opinion on this...

I have never had ECT done but I have heard that it can cause memory loss... as to what extent I really do not know.

As far as ECT causing you to lose your spirit... I presume that you are also meaning your soul.

I do not believe that will happen... Why? I can not find any good words but my heart tells me that our spirit and soul remain with us always...

I know there are times that I don't hear HIM... I believe for me,...it's not that I don't hear HIM...it's that I am choosing to not listen.

I sincerely wish you the best... I know how frightening the thought of losing memories can be... I have a lot of short term memory loss.

Abbie

Rest in Peace
3/8/90 ~~ 4/2/12
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Help

((((((((((((((((Billie)))))))))))))))))

God will never let you go! IF you were to decide to have ECT because you truly believed it would help you, He would still be with you.

there is a verse in the Bible that says NOTHING can separate us from His love.
(Romans 8:38)

It must be very hard to have your doc tugging on one side yet your own uncertainty. I hope you will keep asking questions about ECT before consenting, and and that you will find the answers you need to decide if it is the right treatment for you. You need to agree to this very big step in confidence, not under pressure IMHO

I am totally convinced of the truth tho that nomatter what .... God will never let go of your spirit and your relationship with Him. I pray you will be able to hear what direction God is giving you, and be able to make your choice on whether to have this treatment or not with peace, knowing He IS with you.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (08-01-2009), Burntmarshmallow (08-04-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sweetie, we are God's children and our faith is what keeps us close to Him. That does not mean that at times our faith is less than at others, however, if we never lose that faith completely we never lose our touch with Him. Who is to say that if we do lose faith, does He not wait patiently until we call again?

What man does to us, will not lessen our contact with God. Its just my opinion, I hope it helps.
Good luck with your decision, and prayer has been said.
Momma's Kids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Billie
As long as we are living , in our "skins" on earth . I believe with everything I am made of that we are connected and tied to the creator above, God ,the almighty... higher power.. which ever you chose to call it.
Secondly I know of people who have had ect for depression and other issues. just about all of them at first with the memory loss there is frustration... doubt... and anger, even regret but in the end when all said and done the ties and relationship with God was stronger.
God is with each and everyone of us all the time. God created us with every one of our emotions and so I think God understands all of our emotions including losing faith, being angry . in the end God loves, comforts , guides, provides strength, wisdom...

Well that's what I think anyhow. I may not be bible smart or churchy really but that's what I think About God.

I never had ect and so I cannot really say what it is like. I can say that it is very hard to go threw from the sharing of others who have had it. I would research it more and get alot of info before deciding. Knowledge is power information is the best thing to help you decide.
PEACE
BMW
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote