Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM #1
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Poochie anxiety~

Hi! I have had my 11 yo Doxie *weenie dog* to the Vet 3 X's in the past 2 wks and all bloodwork, etc is normal. The problem is, she starts in the night w/anxiety, shivering and wanting up and down off the bed. We cannot figure out what is wrong and the Vet thinks that she may have separation anxiety or a form of pet Alzheimers. (cog fog)

I am so distraught, as she's usually such a sweet lil thing and used to go to sleep at night w/o a problem. The Vet has put her on anxiety meds and she slept all day today, so I'm going to try giving it to her at bedtime. Poor thing~ we are all tuckered out, as it's like having a baby in the house. I feel helpless, as don't know what to do for her. She's never been hit or anything and both of the poochies are very spoiled. The 14 yo sleeps like a rock.

Has anyone else experienced this? Other than the nighttime probs, she's healthy. She's my lil furbaby.... Suggestions are soooo welcome.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-05-2009)

advertisement
Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Oh, poor baby! No, I haven't seen this kind of behavior with mine. Only when she's anxious about something which is usually a storm coming.

I hope it isn't something physical. Well, emotional isn't really any better, is it.

I hope her/his back is okay. I remember my daughter's mini doxie, Otto, just before he went down last December. He was acting really weird, anxious, and nervous. But in his case, he wouldn't go up stairs and cried at the bottom of the bed when normally he would go right up his little stairs. But that was his spine. They never would have guessed it was his back. We could not figure out what was wrong with him.

Please let us know how this goes!

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Does she usually sleep on the bed with you? If not, maybe put a piece of your clothing or your pillowcase wherever she sleeps to help her not feel so anxious.

It's so hard when they can't tell us what's wrong, isn't it? Hopefully the meds will work to help her sleep at night and get back on schedule. I hope she sleeps better tonight.....and you, too!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My first thought was back or neck issues. These little guys are prone to such issues and one of the first signs my mini had was shivering.

If your vet is not VERY familiar with back issues in this breed it can go un diagnoised. Because dogs, in general are so stoic they often don;t "TELL" us what hurts. That is why a vet that is familiar with this breed is so important.

If you suspect it is her back please do the following to prevent further injury

Always crate your dog whenever you suspect a back problem. It is always better to be safe then sorry. Crating will help keep the dog from further injury. The crate should be 1.5 x 2.5 the length of the dog. The dog should stay in the crate 24/7. Carry to and from potty place. Stand in one spot. Dog may only take minimal steps the harness and 6' leash allow.

Keep us updated!!

Visit
for some great info on this breed and their unique back issues.

Good Luck and kisses for your little one!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is a long shot - but since you said it only happens at bedtime...could it be that she can't see (literally) when the lights are off? That might explain why she wants to 'touch' you (wants up on your bed), but then wants her routine too (let me down I want to go to 'my place'). Not to mention the anxiety.

I agree that putting her in 'her place' with an article that has your scent (after the lights are off) might be worth trying.

Pls. keep us posted. Our elder critters can be such a puzzle!
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

with humans, this can be a sign of diabetes. Often this starts with low blood sugar attacks before the higher blood sugars start.

Humans can also have nightmares at night when the blood sugar falls. Normally the liver detects this and starts converting amino acids to glucose (gluconeogenesis), but then the pancreas over-reacts and makes too much insulin and the net result is LOW blood sugar. The shiverings echo the shaking humans get.

Try giving her some food before bedtime. See what happens then. It may not show up clearly in blood work... as it often does not in humans either!

It is just a thought.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote