Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Depression as a pre-motor symptom of PD

Is it possible that not only does depression precede motor-symptoms of PD, but also places some patients in a sub-set of PD that is not yet researched/discovered?
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
Is it possible that not only does depression precede motor-symptoms of PD, but also places some patients in a sub-set of PD that is not yet researched/discovered?
I am beginning to find out how huge a part depression plays in the scheme of things here. I have been very iffy all my life when it came to my fears and weaknesses. Depression was always there somewhere waiting for me and usually showed up at the worst possible time.....now with parkinson's depression is almost uncontrollable at times yet I still realize I am depressed. Glad I am here and I am trying so hard to master this site...love pokie
pokie too is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey there girl. Glad to see you over here!!

I am quite surprised that there have not been more thoughts about the very valid topic of this thread.

Carolyn
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Old 08-08-2009, 03:53 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Valid indeed, Carolyn!

BEFORE I was diagnosed with PD--that is, I had never considered that I might have a pesky chronic thing, didn't fear it, and couldn't possibly be depressed BECAUSE of PD--so, totally unconnected with any disastrous news, I used to stand on the balcony of the highrise I lived in and calculate how many seconds it would take to hit the street 14 stories below. Then a girl in the building took a fatal jump, and I woke up to what my thoughts were doing to me. It was like a strong tentacle reaching out of a pit to grab me, and it seemed like the thoughts came from somewhere outside myself. I never went close enough to the edge to look down again. Six months later I was diagnosed with PD.

I never tried to jump, but those thoughts are called "suicidal ideation," a key symptom of clinical depression, along with mood, self-worth, sleep patterns and other habits.

By clincal depression, I do NOT mean a down-in-the-dumps, got-the-blues feeling that one can snap out of by putting a funny movie on your iPhone. Clinical depression is fatal if not treated.

Clinical depression is not ABOUT anything, although I'm pretty good at picking at other things in my life and mistaking them for its causes.

Clinical depression is physically caused, or due to pre-existing situations PLUS physical causes, in about 40% of people with PD, according to major authorities.

Clinical depression is best diagnosed by a neuropsychiatrist (if you can find one) who can sort out its symptoms from the ordinary dragginess of PD. I have consulted a great one for ten years, who recently told me that she believed my PD is progressing so slowly, at least in part, because we interceded in the clinical depression so early and to full remission. I still take a maintenance dose of depression meds, although I'm not having symptoms of depression any more.

Some neurologists are interested in sorting it out, some aren't. Ask for a consultation with a psychiatrist who knows PD. It isn't your weakness, it's your illness, same as your tremor or stiffness.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (08-08-2009)
Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default P.S.

Welcome, Pokie!!!!! Glad to have you here! What I have written is not necessarily about you, just me on my soapbox, meant for all who read this.

Yes Carolyn, the great doctor has presented some of her findings from a study that included none other than moi! My big 15 seconds of fame--one of "a group of patients." I think others are working on it, too, but I haven't chased down the topic lately. Anyhow, I hope the above posting helps.

J.
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:43 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks Jaye, I hope ther will be further research into this as a pre-PD pre-non-motor symptom.

I see Dr. Shulman in Baltimore and if anyone would research this area it would be her. She is the champion of quality of life research.

You have provided an excellent description of depression. I did a thread in PLM about what depression feels like and many joined in. Just visit the PsychCentral forum on Depression and you will get a real taste of the problem.

And I fully agree, it is not just being down in the dumps, although it can begin that way and without intervention it can become a vicious carnivore...like a T-Rex...all consuming. It also is not a place that you can just "get over it"...or..."smile more and be happy."

Depression still to this educated-day harbors stigma...in many places and families it is only whispered about, if even that. It is NOT something to be ashamed of. It is a real-deal and should be taken seriously.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
Hey there girl. Glad to see you over here!!

I am quite surprised that there have not been more thoughts about the very valid topic of this thread.

Carolyn
Isn't it amazing what you find when you take the time? I am now reading books again and walking in my garden at sunrise. You once warned me about burnout......I did not listen and it came in waves. Physical exhaustion and mental.....I am learning each day how to cope with my overpowering feelings...so glad you are my friend love pokie
pokie too is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote