ALS For support and discussion of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease." In memory of BobbyB.

advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post Stem Cell Pioneers

Blue Skies & Magic Slates

If you are coping with ALS, and you follow events closely, you obviously have heard of the new group that call themselves, Stem Cell Pioneers. These are brave folks who are willing to travel abroad to receive stem cell transplantations. A growing number of them are traveling annually to places such as Mexico, Portugal, China and the Caribbean in search of cures. One such pioneer sold his home including cars and moved to Argentina. There, for more than $100,000, a doctor is giving him a yearlong experimental course of treatment using his own stem cells.

Web sites are abuzz about a doctor in Beijing, China who has transplanted nerve cells from aborted human fetuses into the spinal cords of more than 400 patients, including a dozen Americans with spinal injuries who paid $20,000 for the procedure, and the clinic is being flooded with inquiries. These pioneers are Americans afflicted by devastating diseases with hopes that are raised by talk of stem-cell advances. There is a simple reason these treatments aren't offered in the U.S. There is no evidence they work.

How do these ALS Pioneers arrive at a decision to take such great risks? Are they placing hope in underground science? Committing brave acts for love ones or looking for an extension on life? Could it be that they fear death? Death is the great equalizer, we know it happens to everyone, but we think everyone means everyone else. Anytime we talk about ALS, death is in the foreground but not necessarily fatal. ALS patients, given enough time, will move past that fear and go to a place similar to what some call "Nirvana". "Nirvana" may be the place ALS patients find courage going forward against all odds.

The finality of death, coupled with the uncertainty of an afterlife, results in fear, for most. But for one such man they called, "Stem Cell Man", Mr. Jerry left his fears at the door as he checked into his "Nirvana" called "Eden" located in the blue skies of Belize, Central America. The place where Iguanas run free at day-break and Monk Parakeets sing in a choir until dusk. Where endless shades of Hope run along side joy and laughter. Where smiling doctors and staff sooth patients with countless hugs that start and end each trying experimental day. Is this only one more medical five star resort of Hope practicing without any guarantees?

This Stem Cell Man had an inspiring ability to accept the physical challenges of ALS as opportunities for personal growth led him in a new philosophical direction. Nonetheless, his journey with ALS was agonizingly poignant. He gained that uncommon perception about how to live fully in the face of fatal illness and hopelessness. Through his own Spirituality he tasted and savored the sweetness of every day in his "Nirvana".

Before his death, with the use of a failing hand, Mr. Jerry scribbled on his Magic Slate. "I am here to acquire knowledge and skills to improve my soul and in the lives of others. I will be challenged to learn lessons by meeting these challenges. These lessons will help me in future challenges." The words spoken here were clearly one man's inner vision of his spirituality, guiding him as only the soul can.

Affirmation
A surge of life pulled me from the dead
I gave up mental contamination
And started building a spiritual foundation
The world all around me was falling down
And when it crumbled I saw higher ground
Something happened inside of me
I stepped into my true identity

(Michael B. Beckwith)
J.M.C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (08-10-2009)