advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Odd sensation--"vibrating" nerves?

I have the oddest sensation in the bottoms of my feet. It feels much like cell phones vibrating and comes and goes in short bursts. Sometimes you can see the skin/muscles moving. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on?

I have an achy pain in my legs and it is moving higher and is now up to just above my knees. I don't even know if this is a symptom of peripheral neuropathy--I have weakness in my legs and they appear to have some atrophy of the muscles--there apprears to also be some atrophy in my forearms too.

I can't find a forum I really fit well in and am following suggestions to post in several forums and see what happens.

My other diagnoses are
sensory ataxia caused by hypothyroid
orthostatic hypotension
trigeminal neuralgia
fibromyalgia

Do I fit here or is there a better forum? Thanks so much for your help!!! Look forward to the answers.

lifesaver54
lifesaver54 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

you may want to read a web page i will give you. i have soome symptoms as you do. This site helped me alot also some very nice people to help. *edit*
Doug

Last edited by Koala77; 10-05-2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: As per NT guidelines
dbw52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default A feeling of vibaration or pulsing--

--can certainly be a symptom of nerve dysfunction; it's often associated with pressure on a nerve at a particular junction. (There are myelinated nerves that subsume the skin sensation of vibration, and these are the ones likely involved.)

I get this intermittently--often the senssation starts suddenly, sticks around for hours/days/weeks, and disappears just as suddenly. It is often associated with a particular position (such as when I cross my legs).
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM #4
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Vibrating

Lifesaver,

I have bodywide sensory and motor PN (large and small fiber), and autonomic too - but get vibrating legs and have since the onset on the PN 10 years years.... usually happens at night, both legs, all the way from toes to top,and goes on for quite a while - nothing really seems to stop it. I have noticed that the more tired I am, or if I've put extra stress on my legs, the more likely the shaking..... I use it as a signal that I need to rest more... the docs have always just nodded and said it was a normal side effect of nerve damage and just "ride it out", hard to sleep and vibrate at the same time!
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SeamsLikeStitches (08-16-2011)
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow, thanks you two--it is at least nice to know this is not an unusual experience. Mine went away for a couple of months is and back. I thought it was gone and didn't tell the neurologist--so have to put this on the list for the next visit. I see my GP Wednesday, Oct 7. Will definitely tell her about it.

I wonder if the nerve damage that causes this sensation is from the hypothyroid too. A lot of things are starting to make a bit of sense, but I still have a list of tests to go through. The "vibrating" happens/gets worse after activity and I notice it when I rest--there is nothing to distract my brain from registering the sensation. The good thing is that it is not painful, just annoying and worrisome.

At least I won't feel like a freak when I tell the doctor about this nerve sensation. I really appreciate the replies, Thank you.

lifesaver
lifesaver54 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If you are hypothyroid... I would expect you to have foot issues.

This is what started me on the PN journey.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I get that sensation in both of my feet daily and I've got peripheral sensory polyneuropathy. Mine is still idiopathic and it doesn't seem as though anyone is inclined to try to find a cause aside from the usual suspects.

Thanks for describing it so well. I've wrestled with trying to do so for awhile until I finally gave up.
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ah yes, the old leg and feet buzzing business. It feels like a cell phone vibrating inside of your body.....
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Shhhhhhhhh, I can't say this too loud...the cellphone has been really quiet lately in my feet, but I totally know what you are talking about. I have full body sensory neuropathy too.

With all of your other symptoms, have you been tested for celiac?

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi lifesaver. I just found this forum and joined today so my answer may be a little late. I'm 53 years old and was diagnosed with PN about six years ago almost immediately after back surgery. Now my docs have added Failed Back Surgery Syndrome to the list of diagnosis. Recently I've been having vibrations on my right thigh and mentioned this to my pain doc just last week. It feels as if a vibrating cell phone is on my leg. It's very localized and really isn't unpleasant. I was told right there that it's back problems again. Since I won't let anyone cut on me anymore, surgery is no longer an option so I just nodded and said "OK".

In 2002 I had L4/5/6 fused mainly because of problems in my left leg. Who knows what part of my spine is causing this pain in my right leg.

That's my experiences so I thought I'd throw in my .02 worth.

Take care....
Greggg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote