Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default RSD & Itching?

I have been having bouts of itching skin all of my body that comes and goes.
It will appear out of no where, last about a week and then leave. When it leaves, it it nice enough to leave me with very attractive scabs from me scratching the ever living heck out of it tearing the skin off, which by the way takes FOREVER to come back, if it decides to. So at this point, I am left with arms, legs, sides, stomach, the part of my back I can reach, hands & feet that look like I have been abused for years.....just wondering if this is related to my new found friend (RSD) or if it is just another friend I have yet to be introduced to?

Thanks and don't mind my sarcasm, it is just my way of dealing today!!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Sonny1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

I am pretty new to RSD as well, but do have the itching you are describing. Mine is not my whole body though. My fingers, hand and forearm itch like crazy at times. I asked my doctor regarding the itching (intense itching in the palm of my hand and fingers at times) and she replied "that's the nerves". She didn't say much more then that. I am not sure if yours feels like mine or not...its a deep itch..not just a skin irritation itch (though I have that as well on my forearm). Almost feels like deep in my hand there is a spot that is itchy and I just can't get at it no matter how often I scratch it!

Sorry I can't provide much more information about the why's, but I can let you know I can relate.

Take care,
Karen
cndangel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink Try Aquafore ???

Hi Sonny1,

When my skin gets itchy (just like you are describing) it seems my cells just can't handle being dehydrated any longer and decide to give me a call Gotta love it!!!

Anyway, the best thing I've found for this is Aquafore that's found at Walmart, Target, etc. This stuff works for anything that's red, itchy, and wants attention. The scabs are the worst. The more you pick at them, the longer it takes for them to go away. What a life we have .

Good luck

Teresa Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny1 View Post
I have been having bouts of itching skin all of my body that comes and goes.
It will appear out of no where, last about a week and then leave. When it leaves, it it nice enough to leave me with very attractive scabs from me scratching the ever living heck out of it tearing the skin off, which by the way takes FOREVER to come back, if it decides to. So at this point, I am left with arms, legs, sides, stomach, the part of my back I can reach, hands & feet that look like I have been abused for years.....just wondering if this is related to my new found friend (RSD) or if it is just another friend I have yet to be introduced to?

Thanks and don't mind my sarcasm, it is just my way of dealing today!!
Teresa Marie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

AAHHH Thank you so much! Yes, it feels like the itch is deep inside and if I could only dig deeper I could get the darn bugger! that is probably why I end up digging the skin 10 layers deep off my body within seconds of scratching!! My husband looks at me like I have fleas or something, I just start scratching out of no where and cannot stop!!

Aquafore. Awesome, I already have some from when I got my tattoo! I will try it. I tried that oatmeal lotion with the menthol medicine...I am so sure I have that wrong...but anyways I have tried about ten different ones that I had to buy when I had aqua fore already, how funny!!

Live, Laugh, Love~
Sonny1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I used to get a horrible itchy rash the first year or so that my RSD was really bad. It was before I started the lidocaine infusions and during my blocks, about 2 years ago now I think. The worst of the itch was on my back, I found that a pasta grabber was the most effective way to scratch it. I still have the scars. And some shirts with the blood stains! I also got the rash on my stomach, but it didn't itch as badly as my back. My rashes lasted maybe 6 months or so, give or take. They randomly went away and never came back, although I do experience skin color changes when my RSD is acting up. It's weird that the rashes picked those 2 spots, since my RSD is in my shoulder, neck, head and right leg for the most part.

Hopefully, your rashes will also pass. I found that hot showers and a hair dryer seemed to draw the itch out for a while, although I'm sure it wasn't very good for my skin.

Good luck, Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yep, I get itching too. It seems weird that on a limb that can't stand anything touching it, I use the velcro on my brace to scratch with. It just seems to come and go. Doc said to keep antibiotic cream on the sores so that they do not get infected and that it is just part of the disease.
Lisa in Ohio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (04-29-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Ohio View Post
Yep, I get itching too. It seems weird that on a limb that can't stand anything touching it, I use the velcro on my brace to scratch with. It just seems to come and go. Doc said to keep antibiotic cream on the sores so that they do not get infected and that it is just part of the disease.
Yeah, I get itching too in my affected arm and hand. But it is usually associated with increased pain at the same time so I am not necessarily compelled to itch it unless I am feeling momentarily self-abusive!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I used to have a body that was shedding skin. Not just flaking I am talking chunks falling off. My head scratched so much it felt like I had lice. I never had skin problems pre rsd. I did go to a dermatologist who rx some shampoo with steriod in and some skin cream. I can't recall the name as this was 3 years ago but it really helped a lot. I still get flares but no where like it was. I was dx with seborehic dermititis too. Sorry about spelling. I would see if you can see a dermatologist. It may be from the rsd but a derm treatment could help
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (04-29-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 PM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I get itching too. I also get some discolouring like you would see in a rash. My PM Doctor told me it can be a common RSD symptom.

If you've had any new medications prescribed i'd look into those too as some meds can have itching as side effects. I know for me I itched a h*ll of a lot on morphine!

Feel better soon!
Sonny1 (05-01-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've got a bread knife that does wonders for the itching. I go at it pretty good but just a few stokes with the knife and it's OK for a while. It's mostly my back when I'm awake but at night it can be anywhere.
Imahotep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (05-04-2011)