Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements For discussion about vitamins, vitamin deficiency, herbal remedies and other supplements.

advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How Long for Low B12 Symptoms to Improve?

Hi everyone,

For about a year, I was suffering from major fatigue, weak legs, felt imbalanced with walking, trouble concentrating, trouble finding words, etc. 2 months ago, I found out my B12 level was around 240, so my doctor put me on 1000 mcg/day sublingual B12 tablets (methylcobalamin). I just went back to get my tests done (after 2 months) and my levels are now up to around 675. I feel slightly better but the symptoms are still very bothersome. My question is, how long does it usually take for the symptoms to clear once my levels are back up?

My iron levels are normal and I am going to get my folate levels checked as well since I've read all 3 should be within normal range.

Thanks for all your help.
md55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk...

I think you are going in the right direction, but you could go faster and more successfully perhaps.

I'd raise to 5mg tablet daily of methylcobalamin on an EMPTY stomach and get that blood level over 1000.

Not much is absorbed under the tongue, and most is swallowed in the saliva. To be absorbed in the intestine you cannot have food present, as this will act like a sponge and create problems.
So empty stomach is important. Don't eat for 1 hr after.

I am leaving on vacation tomorrow, but you can read up on B12, and why methylcobalamin is better here:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

Stores locally typically do not have it...but that is slowly changing. Most of us use iherb.com, Puritan's pride or Swanson's online. It will work out to pennies a day.

Depending on how long you have been low, will determine how fast you improve. Long term damage takes time to heal.
So it is difficult to predict how long you will take to feel better.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for your prompt reply MrsD. I've asked my doctor if I can increase my dosage and he seemed to be against it...

As for length of time to heal, based on your experience, is it possible to get an estimate (weeks, months, years)? As I've mentioned, my symptoms really started to show up about a year ago.

From the link you've provided, I've noticed that iron levels can be lowered when taking b12. Is this common? Furthermore, have you heard of total iron binding capacity and transferrin saturation being affected as well when on b12? My levels were fine before, but after taking the supplements, they are now above/below normal range.
md55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Why would he be against it? There is no upper limit for B12 by the FDA ...no known toxicity ever reported!

Here is Dr. Snows article...
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post698522-70.htm

Doctor's get used to reading lab reports....with those red flags for out of range.... There really is no UNsafe upper limit for B12 but they flag it anyway. So seeing red=unsafe to many doctors, who are not really educated on B12.

I got my range to 1999 in 3 mon from 850 using Puritan's Pride 5mg methyl B12. Most labs do not have equipment to read above 2000 in the US.

If you need it you should get it. B12 is OTC and since it is benign you can decide what to do yourself. Taking on an empty stomach is very important. Only a tiny part of oral B12 ends up in your bloodstream...the rest is not absorbed.

B12 will enhance the making of red blood cells. This uses up iron.
High sudden enhanced red cell making may lower potassium, so eating potassium rich foods is a good idea. This only happens in people really low however, when they start B12 therapy.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by md55 View Post
Hi everyone,

For about a year, I was suffering from major fatigue, weak legs, felt imbalanced with walking, trouble concentrating, trouble finding words, etc. 2 months ago, I found out my B12 level was around 240, so my doctor put me on 1000 mcg/day sublingual B12 tablets (methylcobalamin). I just went back to get my tests done (after 2 months) and my levels are now up to around 675. I feel slightly better but the symptoms are still very bothersome. My question is, how long does it usually take for the symptoms to clear once my levels are back up?

My iron levels are normal and I am going to get my folate levels checked as well since I've read all 3 should be within normal range.

Thanks for all your help.

B12 shots are received directly into your blood and a much faster way of getting your levels up. I am Canadian but had to purchase the b12, it was $7.00 for 10 shots. A doctor at the clinic administered it for me but I know my brother in law gives himself the shots. No pain involved when I had the needle and I am a big whoosy.
Janie222 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote