General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders Discussions about general health conditions and undiagnosed conditions, including any disorders that may not be separately listed below.

advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Lumbar Spiine MRI Report - what does it mean?

I have an MRI report and of course it had to be received late Friday and the doctor is not available to interpret, thus any ideas what this means:

Lumbar spine report shows:

1. Post interval right hemilaminotomy at L4-L5 with residual/recurrent medium right subarticular disc protrusion that impinges/compresses the traversing/existing right L5 nerve root.
2. Unchanged sponodylosis with neural foraminal and subarticular spinal stenosis, worst at L5-S1 on the left where the left L5 dorsal root ganglion remains impinged.

It also states on the Intervertebral discs section: unchanged, mild loss of height and signal at L3-L4, moderate loss of L4-L5 and severe loss at L5-S1.

It goes on to say L3-4: unchanged concentric disc bulge and facet hypertrophy causing mild bilateral neural foraminal & subarticular spinal stenosis, while a superimposed small right foraminal/extraforaminal broad-based protrusion again encroaches upon the postganglionic right L3 nerve root.

L4-5: mild posterior disc bulge and facet hypertrophy cause mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal and left subarticular spinal stenosis.
L5-S1: Unchanged posterior disc bulge, eccentric dorsolaterally to the left, and facet hypertrophy causing moderate, left greater than right, neural foraminal and subarticular spinal stenosis. The left L5 dorsal root ganglion remains impinged.

What does all this mean: since I have an Electromyography scheduled for Monday and Epidural shots thereafter, is this in line with the above MRI results?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Dean22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I am not a pro at this at all but here goes- I'll Bold the main parts
I usually break it down to the basics and drop the excess dr words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean22 View Post
I have an MRI report and of course it had to be received late Friday and the doctor is not available to interpret, thus any ideas what this means:

Lumbar spine report shows:

1. Post interval right hemilaminotomy at L4-L5 with residual/recurrent medium right subarticular disc protrusion that impinges/compresses the traversing/existing right L5 nerve root.

2. Unchanged sponodylosis with neural foraminal and subarticular spinal stenosis, worst at L5-S1 on the left where the left L5 dorsal root ganglion remains impinged.

It also states on the Intervertebral discs section: unchanged, mild loss of height and signal at L3-L4, moderate loss of L4-L5 and severe loss at L5-S1.

It goes on to say L3-4: unchanged concentric disc bulge and facet hypertrophy causing mild bilateral neural foraminal & subarticular spinal stenosis, while a superimposed small right foraminal/extraforaminal broad-based protrusion again encroaches upon the postganglionic right L3 nerve root.

L4-5: mild posterior disc bulge and facet hypertrophy cause mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal and left subarticular spinal stenosis.
L5-S1: Unchanged posterior disc bulge, eccentric dorsolaterally to the left, and facet hypertrophy causing moderate, left greater than right, neural foraminal and subarticular spinal stenosis. The left L5 dorsal root ganglion remains impinged.

What does all this mean: since I have an Electromyography scheduled for Monday and Epidural shots thereafter, is this in line with the above MRI results?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
I guess I can't help with what it means or about the testing.
But I would guess you are having LB pain and leg pain?
Are you having tingling and numbness?

a link to check for more info- probably more in the useful sticky thread too - in the spinal forums
http://www.spine-health.com/topics/topics01.html