Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help Urgent block questions!! Nausea and vomiting?

Has anyone had a LSB and had nausea and vomiting? I am having a lot more nausea and am vomiting since I had the LSB yesterday afternoon.

Anyone else? Or is this a terrible reaction and I need to get a hold of my Dr ASAP?

Please help!
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

IHH.... I had severe nausea and vomiting after each LSB. My pm doc told me that this was common from the anesthesia. I'm sorry you are feeling bad.

abbie
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasaki View Post
IHH.... I had severe nausea and vomiting after each LSB. My pm doc told me that this was common from the anesthesia. I'm sorry you are feeling bad.

abbie
Thanks so much Abbie!! I looked up "lumbar sympathetic block nausea vomiting" on different search engines and couldn't find anything... I thought it was just me from the LSB or that I must've been vomiting from the pain again. Confusing!

Thanks again for letting me know. Did you find that the blocks were worth the nausea/ vomiting? I am not sure if I want to continue to do blocks if they only last a few hours (the dr is 3 hours away, the block lasted 2 hours... so I wasn't even home yet and it wore off!), and I am so far away from the dr and am going to have this each time... ?!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

my blocks lasted varying amounts of time... but i feel each was worth the amount of relief i received even if it was only a short period of time. so yes...it was worth the nausea and vomiting in the long run. After the second block I was given sprite and crackers...the nausea was much less and the vomiting was minimal.

Let the doctor know that it is wearing off before you get home... he may be able to switch the type of medicine or add another medicine to help boost the relief. My doctor did this a few times. I found that if I sat in the recovery area a little longer and didn't move around so much right after...the blocks lasted longer.

Unfortunately for me...due to other circumstances... the blocks stopped working all together. But in my humble opinion... I would at least give it another chance....the second one may work better and the third even better. If you can get ahead of this rsd monster with the blocks...you have a greater chance of slaying it.

abbie

Last edited by Abbie; 06-01-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: sorry...had a brain numb moment..forgot somethings.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM #5
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

ihh, has your dr given you an anti nausea med? are you taking any extra supplements to help with the electroyte imbalance vomiting can incur?

now i'm a mother hen monkey. abbie know how much i worry about her.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 AM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Good thinking "Momma" Monkey!!!

I forgot that that doc did have me drinking Gatorade too...and I did get something for the nausea... i had a little patch i wore behind my ear for several days.

abbie
Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post

ihh, has your dr given you an anti nausea med? are you taking any extra supplements to help with the electroyte imbalance vomiting can incur?

now i'm a mother hen monkey. abbie know how much i worry about her.
Thanks for all the hugs sweet Curious! You do more than give out chocolate?!

I am not on anti nausea meds, and I doubt that my dr would want to give me any considering I am on lyrica, neurontin, cymbalta, amitriptyline, valium, darvocet, lidocaine patches and I take ibuprofen for the muscle pains.

Extra supplements? I take regularly vitamin C, E, B complex, calcium, magnesium, lecithin, omega 3-6-9 oils, glocosamine/ chrondroitin w/ MSM, C Q 10, and I eat healthy- fruits, veggies and fowl. I have been drinking extra water, juice and gatorade since the nerve block yesterday. I am trying to make sure today, with the nausea and vomiting that I still get some liquids in as well as light foods.

Thanks for the concern!

Last edited by InHisHands; 06-01-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 AM #8
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Heart

electrolyte imbalance is nothing to sneeze at. it can be deadly. it's also a vicious cycle. the more you are imbalanced..the more pain you have. the pain causes more nausea...the more imbalance causes even more nausea.

but...and a BIG but sorry..couldn't help it...even if you have had your blood work done and your levels look "ok" they may not be. even being on the slightly low/normal level can cause serious problems. many times dr's won't even mention anything unless the lab reports show either a high or low.

those little patches are awesome.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasaki View Post
Good thinking "Momma" Monkey!!!

I forgot that that doc did have me drinking Gatorade too...and I did get something for the nausea... i had a little patch i wore behind my ear for several days.

abbie
Abbie, do you remember by any chance what that patch was?

I mentioned in my other post that I am taking in gatorade, water and juice. Hopefully that will all help.

I am going to talk to the dr about this next nerve block using a stronger/ different med and also I will try to stay still longer. I did sit for about 15 minutes after the LSB, do you think that is long enough?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 AM #10
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

hehehe...i do slip up and let out my college degree brain once in awhile. just don't tell ok?

don't worry about eating something salty. you need the sodium! also potassium. it's better to drink something like Pedealite (sp) to replenish the electrolytes than gatorade. gatorade has lots of sugars. also, Pedealite comes in Popsycles that can add a change of pace and sometimes something cold can help the nausea. but i wasn't sure if you could have the cold..with your mouth rsd?

keep you calcium levels up too.

a dr will ususally give an rx for the patches. you don't have to keep them on all the time.