General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders Discussions about general health conditions and undiagnosed conditions, including any disorders that may not be separately listed below.

advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 01:45 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Does anyone have any experience with Chia Seeds?

My friend who is a certified family herbalist looked at my web page about how I've been losing weight, and she thought I should try Chia Seeds.

They sounded totally great, so I ordered a lot of pounds of them.

But they didn't seem to work for me. They were great in coffee because they have absolutely no taste and they get sort of gelatinous... so they made my coffee like a really rich latte.

But... they made me feel starving. I didn't understand it. It could have been from stress at the same time. I can't be totally sure. Though I tried them again and had a similar problem. The first try they also gave me a cold sore, I thought. But... with stress, it's hard to be sure about "conclusions" like that.

When I looked them up on this neat nutrition site, the Chia seeds were shown as having no vitamins in them. While the brown rice I thrive on was shown to be pretty rich in B Vitamins.

I'd really like to know what someone else has experienced, or knows about Chia Seeds...

advertisement
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 PM #2
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

i haven't personally, but i'll see what i can find out.
Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
i haven't personally, but i'll see what i can find out.
Thanks, Curious.

I sent it back. So it's not quite such a pressing problem.

I had wondered if maybe it was like corn... corn is apparently bad (at least for some people) in that it tends to encourage cold sores.

I took vitamin C right away and that made them go away, but I still wondered about the chia seeds...

Have you seen this web site:
www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20nN.html

I don't know about the site. Some of the information is totally new to me.

But I did notice that brown rice, which works really well for me, is shown to have B vitamins in it... :
www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21U6.html

Let me know what you think of that site...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:06 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was at the gluten forum today, briefly, and I think I saw that many seeds and nuts can cause problems for people with ... gluten problems, I guess is the ghist of it.

I would love for someone to post some information on that here, in this thread, because I think a lot of people are being introduced to Chia seeds as this magic ... end to diabetes ... type food. I may be wrong.

The chia seed purveyors were incredulous (didn't believe me?) when I said I had problems from eating them...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:00 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Chia Seeds

Hi All, I have been eating & selling chia seeds for over 8 yrs. I learned about them from an American Indian, giving a desert survival coarse. I do not cook my seeds, it kills the live enzymes. I eat 2- 3 tablespoons every morning. I have more energy & feel better. I am slim already, so no pounds lost. They keep me going after 6:00 pm. I would not go without them. Some people may be alergic to chia seeds. Many people do lose weight, feel better. That is why our customers keep reordering from us again and again. Many top runners eat chia gelled in water before a marathon. Most of the chia in the US is NOT for human consumption. Ours is for human consumption & is grown to organic practices. Also you can not eat a small amount & then conclude it does not have any benefits. You should eat a minimum of 2 tablespoons a day for a week. I make oatmeal, add COOL water to add the chia to so it will not cook the seeds. I let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes then eat. Works for me & my family. For more info, you can visit www.a-tlc.net/chia Take Care , Jeff
TLC Network is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:32 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I ate them for a few days and had a bad reaction... cold sore came up... I forget what else, so I don't think they are good for me. They messed up my digestive sytem, so I think that in the same way corn isn't good for me, that chia seeds are not.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 PM #7
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

(((((((((((((((considerthis))))))))))))))))

miss you hon!!
Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default chia seed

we got us chia seeds and started using them...they was great, after i went back n got more the woman at store told us to try grinding them , that u would get more value from them....so we did it...my husband started getting a poison effect from them..diarea, throwing up and muscle spasms...he would be in bed for 3 days in tears... this happen 3 different times before we relized it was the chia...not sure exactly what it was doing to him but the last time it happen all he had was 1 bite of chia and he was down for 2 days....be carefull taking it....i have had people tell me that u can overdose with it...so just be carefull on the ammount u take...as he told me he felt like he had been poisoned...u just dont know what it will do...
sweetkissssses2u is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (02-19-2008)
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkissssses2u View Post
we got us chia seeds and started using them...they was great, after i went back n got more the woman at store told us to try grinding them , that u would get more value from them....so we did it...my husband started getting a poison effect from them..diarea, throwing up and muscle spasms...he would be in bed for 3 days in tears... this happen 3 different times before we relized it was the chia...not sure exactly what it was doing to him but the last time it happen all he had was 1 bite of chia and he was down for 2 days....be carefull taking it....i have had people tell me that u can overdose with it...so just be carefull on the ammount u take...as he told me he felt like he had been poisoned...u just dont know what it will do...
Wow. That's way worse than what I experienced. Much more immediate. But the bedsore I had was huge, and I'm pretty sure it was related, in the same way that I got the cold sore.

I use the whey protein now, and it is great. I have it for "breakfast" in my coffee, and the same for lunch.

And, I don't appear to lose weight unless I eat brown rice. If I eat it, then I lose weight, no matter how much of it I eat. So for me brown rice is great when I'm under stress and want to eat to sop up the stress.

I should go cook some now... except I'm running low on candles.