View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Small Fiber Non-Length Dependent

Hi,

Can you guys tell me if anyone else has this? The doctor at Hopkins said it was probably immune mediated small fiber sensory neuropathy.

I get random water or stinging sensations all over my body. It often feels like something cold or wet, but can be a burning in the limb. It can be provoked by pressure on a limb, my foot rubbing the inside of my shoe, or just totally random like rain drops.

The hopkins website says "A small percentage of patients with SFSN experience sub-acute onset sensory disturbances diffusely over the whole body, including the trunk and sometimes even the face. These patients have non-length-dependent SFSN and almost all cases are idiopathic."

That sounds like my case.

I didn't have any of these symptoms until I started taking antibiotics from one of those crazy "Lyme disease" doctors. Shortly after starting a dose of minocycline, bactrim and rifampin I noticed strange sensations all over my body that felt like snow flakes, water drops, stinging or buzzing.

I call these Lyme Drs crazy because that is what I now believe, but got sucked into it by a doctor I was referred to by a message therapist who was treating my myofascial pain syndrome. She said I should get tested for perpetuating factors and this non-insurance doctor tested me and said I had Lyme disease. I wasn't sure but thought it couldn't hurt to try to treat it, so I searched for another doctor who only treats Lyme. I wish I hadn't done that. After maybe 4 months I decided it was nonsense and stopped. Well, I think the antibiotics gave me this immune condition, if that is what is doing it because I never had it before and it started right after the antibiotics.

I had the nerve problem for about 6 months or more and then it went away totally!!! It was gone for a year or more and I was very happy with my life and moved on thinking it probably passed. Now it came back!

I had a cold that lasted for 15 days and during the last couple days of the cold I noticed the paresthesias/neuropathies again and was very upset.

I don't know if it was the cold or something else that triggered my immune system, if it is that and now my immune system is messed up because of the antibiotics.

I'm scheduled to see my general practitioner to review the results from Hopkins, which are almost two years old now and they were negative and it eventually went away. But, now I want to know if there is anything I can find out again.

If anyone can give me any advice that would help. I'm considering Mayo clinic as well or just getting immune tests or anything.

Thank You
applewine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote