View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default The odds were with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker View Post
Good food for thought, Doc. It had occurred to me that I could end up with someone else who doesn't take it as seriously as she seems to be. But it did bother me that she formed an opinion on my first visit that it will be idiopathic. Maybe because I have no other obvious symptoms. You're right though, I can always see someone else in the future if necessary. Thanks.
Quote:
idiopathic (not comparable)
1.(pathology) Of, relating to, or designating a disease or condition having no known cause.
When you walked into her office, neither of you knew the cause, therefore, it was "idiopathic". If, after testing, she can't find any obvious cause/reason, it'll still be "idiopathic". The doesn't mean that there isn't a cause or reason, or that one cannot/willnot be found; it just hasn't been found as of a point in time.

A recent (2009) Neuropathy Association poll asked 1,000 patients to identify their specific type of neuropathy. While there are over 100 known types of peripheral neuropathy, 52% of the patients responded their neuropathy was “idiopathic,” meaning of no known cause. So the chances were in her favor.

First-Time National Poll Confirms Neuropathy Hits Millions In Their Prime

There are some other interesting facts/stats in the article/poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Burning only on the bottoms of the feet is odd.
Well, that's not the only thing about me that's been called "odd".

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote