View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jay,

Yes, endodontists earn a magnificent living doing root canals and rarely explain anything about the risks associated with this procedure. I really hope that someday dentists will exchange their marketing statement from "save the tooth" to "retain the tooth". Big difference between the two!

Regarding the 99% comment by the OS about extractions being the cure all for bone infection....... he was being optimistic with you which is not a bad thing. But the percentage was a bit over zealous! The healing from removing a tooth that recently became infected or a tooth that had no infection but had broken down beyond repair is probably 99%. The healing from the removal of an infected tooth, one in which has infected the jaw bone is not in the 90 percentile. There are many issues that affect the healing and the patients overall health is a huge factor. His comparison between the tooth and the splinter makes me laugh out loud because I use that here and at work all the time when I explain the comparison between a root canaled tooth and a splinter in the finger. Both can be festering infections if the culprit is not removed!

He is right in that removing the tooth is imperative as this gives the immune system the opportunity to deal with the residual infection.

Regarding the antibiotic Keflex.... I don't know if it would be okay to take this with clindamycin or penicillin. You would need to discuss that with your OS and physician.

There is no real way to know if the site is healing in the bone or not at this point. It is wise to be aware of any unusual symptoms that suddenly occur that indicate a bacterial infection. Definitely get an xray at the 3 month mark even if all remains quiet. I would get another xray every 3 months for the first year to monitor the healing because it is always best to intervene early if necessary.

And yea.... by all means start a thread on the battle of tooth decay!!!

Take care,
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngatart View Post
Thank you kindly for the well wishes Bryanna,

Actually the endodontist thought he might be able to save the tooth, that's what there trained to do I suppose.
Well I'm back from seeing my oral surgeon for a quick visit, nice guy. The site of the extraction is healing well.
Again I addressed my concern whether or not the extraction and the course of amoxcillian (which I just finished) would be enough to
wipe the infection that had made its way into my jaw. He said 99% of the time the extraction is enough to cause total healing. He compared it to
removing a splinter in a finger.
I asked if I could have another x-ray to help reassure myself, but he said a xray would not show enough changes so soon, and that a xray might be a good idea 3 months down the road.

Now I will start taking the Keflex as prescribed. I'm wondering if I should ask my regular Dr if he can write me a percription for Clindamycin or perhaps Penicillin
to take along side with the Keflex as a added precaution. I've read that Clindamycin is good with bone penetration.
Keflex seems kinda light weight considering the size of the abscess and its spreading to the jawline.

Is there anyway to confirm the infection is truly gone rather then waiting 3 months to have a xray?
Thanks for all your help. Hope to start a thread about emerging technologies on the fight against dental caries.

Best wishes

Jay
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-18-2013)