View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng View Post
I have seen one neurologist who poo-pooed the MRI, barely looked at it really. My husband asked me to have a neurosurgeon look at it. He thinks I should consider a PLIF (fusion at L5-S1) He thinks things look pretty messed up down there, and the left sided nature of things suggests some mechanical problems.. My regular neuro said, "of course, a surgeon would want to cut." This guy, though, is the best in the area, doesn't need to drum up business in any way. I actually went to the appt thinking he would say there was nothing surgical to be done.

I am getting an opinion of another neurologist in August. If I did the surgery it would be in Sept. I really really need some input!
Hi Jenn,

Yes, surgery for PN could be appropriate in certain cases (like nerve compression that threatens further damage). Just keep in mind that surgery may (and probably will) not repair damage that's already been done, and research for yourself any proposed procedures and related risks. Some doctors have been remiss in adequately informing patients in these areas.

Doctors discounting MRIs (in favor of other evidence) does not surprise me. Two patients with virtually identical MRIs can present vastly different symptoms -- one may function perfectly normally, while the other is in abject pain 24/7, requiring intervention/treatment. I've heard this scenario many times from different neuros & orthos.

The different neuro opinions & comments don't surprise me either -- that's why they're called opinions. _ When they're in agreement is usually when the course of action is clear. What your experiences tell me are, 1.) surgery should only be considered as a last resort after all other treatment options have been tried first (it cannot be undone), and 2.) more opinions (plural!) and information are needed in order for you to make an intelligent informed decision.

If you haven't yet, you might post something about this in the Spinal Disorders & Back Pain forum.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (07-17-2013), hopeful (07-17-2013), jenng (07-17-2013)