Thread: Children and PD
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Todd
Here are a few of the quotes that I collected about a year ago. It covers everything from young to adult children. This is good stuff. Remember that it does belong to me by permission. I plan to put it all together one day for publication. I am posting it here because I believe it can be beneficial for others - good luck on your presentation.
Peggy
  • *The children do not want to deal with the hard issue. So when they
    come to visit, in actuality we see very little of them.

*Our daughters are 5 and 7, the eldest born a year or so after my husband's diagnosis at aged 38. They accept his limitations because it's all they'veever known. They are too young to understand the implications for the
    future. They have not yet realised yet that he is slowly getting worse

*As far as telling your 10 year old . . . don't. What I mean by "don't" is don't lie, but don't go into detail - don't sound so terminal - and don't worry yourself sick(er). I like what was said earlier about comparing it to telling your child about sex - just tell the child what will satisfy the question.

* Attitude – can you imagine telling a child every day from his birth “You’re going to die one day.”

*I am doing the best I can to care for my husband, and his health issues consumes my life. I receive compliments from our friends about my dedication, etc. But somehow the adult children manage to find ways I could do things better. Another child is more concerned about his inheritance. And another child is simply glad that I am doing everything, because he is too busy with his life and doesn't have time to be bothered.

* The girls have been especially good at making sure the children understand that Papa is "sick" but he is still "our Papa" and we have to look after him. When he is able and they are available we try to bring about as much interaction as possible.

* Our daughters have also been very supportive of my role as caregiver. When things get rough, I can always count of them to listen and when possible suggest a solution.

* I can't imagine what it would be like to have smaller children and face the uncertainty that PD brings. I only know that difficulties often bring families closer together. It is also important to establish good relationships with our children early on. It will be smoother if we have paid attention when they were young. The bumper sticker, "BE GOOD TO YOUR CHILDREN, THEY WILL SOMEDAY CHOOSE YOUR NURSING HOME" is not far from the truth. Kindness is learned.
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote