View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashika1 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new and my name is Candice. I'm 52 years old. I had surgery to repair an unruptured aneurism on September 11th, after they found it in an MRI while trying to determine the cause of vertigo. It turned out my vertigo was caused by permanent damage to my inner ear from an ear infection. I feel blessed that the aneurism was found, and could be repaired. It went well, and my physical healing seems to be going well, too. I have a wonderful circle of support from friends and family, and co-workers. I've been off work and won't return until the end of November.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced depression and anxiety after coming through surgery? I can't make sense of this. For a few weeks right after surgery, I was elated and happy, and was laughing alot, just happy to be alive.

NOW, for the past few weeks (maybe 3), I am in such a depressed state, my sleep is all over the map, insomnia, and generally just feeling hopeless, useless and yet, I know intellectually that these things aren't true. My family doctor wants to put me on Ceprilex, for my depression, but I am unsure of taking them, as there are numerous side effects. I am feeling sad, and cry at the drop of a hat, for no reason. I find myself spending a lot of time alone.

I started seeing a counsellor this week, because I can not deal with feeling so low, all the time!

What I want to know is, do others experience this after brain surgery and is this normal? I want it to pass. I try doing one or two productive things/day, however my energy level and motivation is low. I manage to get to the gym about 4-5 times per week. This makes me feel marginally better, but the effects don't last.

Anyone out there who has had these post-surgery symptoms?

Thanks,
Candice (Ashika)
Hi. My name is Chris and I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 16 months ago that resulted in, first coiling, then clipping and ultimately placing a shunt in my head to drain the fluid off my brain. I recovered for the most part and returned back to work 3 months later. I too, suffer from depression that feels dehabilitating. I am on anti depressants and under the care of a therapist. I would love to find someone else who has been through this as I feel no one understands. I know I am loved but feel it is hard for anyone to understand me anymore. I feel like I am a burden to people as I still talk a lot about what happened to me. I have tried to find a support group in my area but I am from a small town and have not been able to find any. I have also been diagnosed with a rare disease called fibro muscular displyasia which means I will be very vulnerable to future aneurysms. I have not been able to find a dr that knows about this disease. At the time of my aneurysm, I was airlifted to a hospital 6 hours away and had my surgeries there. I hope you are beginning to feel better Candice. I will be praying for you.
christgal2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote