View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Welcome AJ,

This kind of obfuscation by doctors makes me angry (at them -- not at you! )

I'm guessing that "ME" stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Myalgic Encephalopathy(?) These are alternative names for what many call Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

Quote:
The diagnosis of Functional Neurological Deficit provides an umbrella term for a variety of symptoms of apparent neurological origin but which current models struggle to explain psychologically or organically. Presentation may be similar to a wide range of other neurological conditions from paralysis to weakness. Most neurologists use it as a code for Conversion Disorder in an effort not to offend the patient. Given the controversy over conversion disorder as a real diagnosis the term is most useful in an aetiological neutral sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functio...ogical_deficit
In this day & age, we (patients) need to become proactive in our medical care -- our own patient advocates, watchdogs, and detectives. A possible starting point (if you haven't done so already) might be to research all these terms they're confounding you with.

From what you've said, I don't think these bozos (i.e. these doctors) have a clue what's wrong, and it may be time to consider making a change (finding new doctors that haven't pigeonholed you).

In the meantime, and to answer your question, there are many articles on the web about when to see a doctor. I think the numbness in your cheek warrants at least a call to your doctor/neurologist to report & describe the symptom(s), and ask if s/he wants you to make an appointment.

Best Wishes,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote