View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tourettes in little children?

Hi, I was wondering what would tourettes look like in someone as young as 3?

My son is 6 now and has been showing vocal and motor tics for over a year. He tics every day and at times it is worse. He also tics more during certain times of the day. When he was 3 he showed echolalia, ecopraxia, pronoun reversal and was obsessive about running his hand in certain patterns (touching the wall at a certain height) or would lick things like the iron board. He still has some echopraxia and echolalia at times. He tends to script alot. He shows eye blinking, mouth stretching, skin picking, picking at crouch, squating, acts like a driven motor where he can't sit still, nose stretching, likes activities to be structured, spins objects, whole upper body movements, bouncing in chair over and over like a ritual, shirt stretching, looking out the corners of his eyes, easily irratated and tantrums, throat clearing, humming, repeating words.

These are not all at once and he seems to have 3 or 4 and then they change over a period of time to something else like he rotates them. It gets worse over high allergy times.

His father has always neck stretched. I watched him the other day and saw a few more his father did. I didn't know that is what it was (motor tics) after 20 years of marriage.

I showed a 15 second clip to a Neurologist and he did say they were motor tics.

He is very bright and has a musical gift (perfect pitch). At 3 he was diagnosed PDD-NOS because of social (doesn't understand social rules but loves to be around other kids - example...greeted friend by humming Mozart) and communication difficulties (has trouble in conversations, pronoun reversal, answering questions). He also will watch the same video every night for months, has sensory issues, selective eating, limited imagination. I am wondering if it is tourettes all along or PDD with tourettes or PDD with a chronic motor tic disorder?

M&m
M&mikey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote