View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna! Thanks so much for your reply - I really appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
You have a bacterial infection called Periodontal disease (as you stated). What you may not know is that every minute of the day this bacteria filters through your blood stream....A routine cleaning cannot remove the bacteria because it is deep in the tissue and in abundance. Some people will react unfavorably (not feel well) immediately after the cleaning.... others it may take a week or so.
This makes a lot of sense!

Quote:
Anytime you have dental work such as an extraction and there is active periodontal disease present anyplace in that mouth, the bacteria from the disease goes to the surgical site. This can cause the area to become infected and/or cause it to heal very slowly or incompletely.
I wasn't aware of this, and it too makes a lot of sense. I wonder if this is the reason I'm still getting an occasional throbbing from the extraction site of #14, almost a year later?

Quote:
Black areas seen on an xray at the apex or near a root canaled tooth always indicate infection and most often indicate that a cyst is forming in the bone.
Would this be a retention cyst? The oral surgeon mentioned this as a possibility from the extraction last year, but that has apparently now been ruled out based on the CT scan. However, the new x-rays in a few days may show something different again.

Quote:
Your drinking event that lead to you becoming ill... sounds to me like your immune system is overwhelmed with your dental infections and since intoxication burdens the immune system you are what is referred to as a "host" for becoming ill which means when something triggers your compromised immune system it responds in the form of ill health.
Boy am I sorry I ever went to that party! I hardly ever drink alcohol as a rule, maybe once or twice a year... But it sounds like these symptoms would have happened anyway in some shape or form.

Quote:
It would not be wise to retain any infected teeth if you are concerned about your overall health because they can make you very ill. Infected teeth also destroy the bone structure that holds the teeth in the jaw which will make replacement of those teeth compromised if not very impossible other than with removable partial dentures.
Thanks Bryanna. I need to discuss replacement options with my dentist and the oral surgeon.

Quote:
Have you done anything to treat the periodontal disease? How long have you had it and how severe is it? Do you have regular dental care every six months?
Yes, I have had regular dental care since this happened last year. But I had allowed the dental visits to lapse before that, which is why I'm in this situation now. As for the periodontal disease, there hasn't been any specific treatment for it, other than the root canals. All I know is that my x-rays from a few months ago looked a LOT better than the x-rays taken before the root canal work was done. The periodontal disease hasn't been discussed since, which had led me to believe it was resolved.
dr teeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote