View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I feel the need to post on this one. I realize most people here, won't recognize me. I've been away a while, trying to put my life back together and helping my friend do the same.

Suicide, a choice??? Having made three serious attempts myself over my life-span, I can relate to this well. I was 12 when I made the first attempt. I don't talk about it much. At the time, even in my 12 year old mind, it seemed the only way, out of a life that didn't seem worth living. Pretty strange, if you ask me, now, for a 12 year old. Not even a choice a child that age could really make. Depression was not well recognized or treated at that time.

I'll skip the second attempt, and move on to the third. You can't really call suicide a choice when the mind is broken either from mental illness or physical illness causing mental illness, if that makes sense. In my case, an un-diagnosed thyroid problem, replete with psychosis and near coma and death. This attempt could not have been labeled a clear choice. I've survived both these attempts. I can't even say how.
For every suicide that is final, there are many many more attempted that are not even statistically documented.

It's a HUGE problem becoming even bigger. I applaud those who work to tackle this problem on so many levels. Truly being able to talk about it with someone who understands is the first step.

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Thoreau

~ You can give without loving, but you cannot love
without giving. ~
mistiis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (07-27-2013), Alffe (07-21-2013), barbo (07-24-2013), DejaVu (09-05-2015), DMACK (07-29-2013), FeelinGoofy (07-21-2013), Mark56 (07-22-2013)