View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Carbs not the culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Feeling sleepy is from the insulin rush.

You should take your blood sugars 1 hr after and 2 hrs after eating.
That may show you something.

A large meal or too many carbs are sleepy making. Protein is alerting as a rule as long as you don't eat too much.

Carbs tend to stimulate serotonin release. Protein less so.
I am extremely compliant with my diet. If I eat a piece of boiled, boneless, skinless chicken for lunch, I have the same drugged feeling. I try not to have any more than 15g of carbs at any one time with any meal. I eat vegetables, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc. as the major portion of my meal with either baked or boiled boneless, skinless, chicken for dinner. I am not sure if my fatigue is a result of my diabetes, my coronary artery diseasse, my medications, my depression (from my conditions), or a combination of them. I was just wondering if people without multiple conditions, just diabetes, have extreme fatigue and daytime sleepiness.

A lot of my medications require that they be taken with food so I take several at lunch and the rest after eating dinner. Since the meds and meals are simultaneous, I do not know if the meds are the culprit. I am on several types of anti-hypertensives and I do know that beta blockers can make you sleepy.

Last edited by Hopeless; 07-21-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Addition to comment
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote