View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT33 View Post
I've recently tried P Stim for a period of 72hours. I was advised this treatment as i suffer from chronic and acute pain. It was connected to the Vagus nerve on my ear and it then sends electrical signals to activate my parasympathetic nervous system and to decrease the response signals from the pain receptors to my brain, as they are apparently overly responsive due to the massive injuries i had 18mths ago.

There is barely any information out there and I wanted to see how others responded to the treatment.
This is my experience...
My pain had definitely altered from a sharp and shooting feeling to a dull aching during physical movement and working out. I am very physically active. In the gym I felt fatigued in my muscles so i decreased my weights and did what I could.
I added only one new exercise (static lunge) and normally i get a shooting pain as my Dr wants to repair my meniscus and see what else is going on inside my knee. But this time it felt fine although a little unstable as usual.
The next day I was no longer wearing the device and i woke up with my knee was in agony and i was limping. I haven't experience this severe pain in a long time. Also my forearms and wrists were hurting and inflamed (even though i did less weight).

This leads me to the thought that the P Stim was masking the pain reactions i 'should' have had, to warm me to stop with that movement.This is very worrying to me as my physical activity is my life, work and passion.

There are so many questions I have but there is nothing out there on the websites that i could find.
It states 'Virtually no side effects,' but what are they?
Who are these people they tested the device on? Are they physically active? Their age? etc
Did they do MRI's of the brain in these clinical studies? (as the P Stim re-sets the mid brain)
They have stated no long term effects...but this is a new device...who knows in 20 years time!

I had a headache in the sinus area and behind that area (frontal brain?)
Restless nights sleep as it would turn off and on every 3 hours
The actual procedure isn't invasive, but to me it felt invasive (I felt claustrophobic, not in control of my own body and i dreaded the 3hrs of the flicking sensation in my ear)

I am very in tune with my body and know when something doesn't feel right. I am physically active, fit, eat a healthy mostly vegan diet, sleep 8-9hrs, drink lots of water etc.
So if i feel a headache....i know something is wrong.

Anyways the treatment plan was to wear the device for 72hrs every 10 days for 6 sessions. I'm not sure I want to go ahead with the second treatment as physically I don't know my capabilities when wearing it, will it switch off the pain receptors i actually need (short and long term).and there is not enough research out there on this device and they really don't guarantee no side effects.
I would rather try acupuncture first than this extreme device. I have muscle relaxants and pain killers etc, but i would never take them before working out.

Please let me know if you have tried it? considered it? or have any thoughts about it?

I appreciate any help and advice

I am so glad I came upon this post, and it only took me 3 hours of searching 'side effects of p-stim' ha! I just had p-stim device put on 3 days ago, by the end of the first day I had it on I began experience horrible headaches and bad nausea. This has gotten worse as of today the 3rd day of wearing the device. I have searched everywhere to find those "Virtually no side effects" as well with no luck - I was under the impression that if a device is approved for medical treatment by the FDA they were required to list any reported side effects??? They are found no where on the website for the manufacturer or the literature included with the device. I even emailed the CEO of the manufacturer of the device (located in Austria) she promptly responded and told me I would need to contact this person:
IHS Innovative Health Solution

Att: Gary Peterson

I have emailed him with no response as of yet. Of course this website lists nothing about side effects either... seems very very odd to me that it is so difficult to find this information.

If you happen to come across it, please share!

Last edited by Chemar; 07-22-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: NT guidelines
dre038 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-23-2014)