View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 01:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Kathie,

Thanks so much for your note.

I canīt say Iīm in remission of something that is only a suspected diagnosis given by an MG neurologist/researcher.
But I do know what it is to have those exact same fluctuating and debilitating myasthenic symptoms - day in day out and asking myself:
  • Is it going to be like this for the rest of my life?
  • Will I ever be able to plan anything again?
  • Will my day always feel like itīs over by 9 a.m.?
  • Will I ever know exactly how much an activity is going to cost me after the fact?
  • Will I lose my job?
  • Will my son feel like I didnīt love him in childhood?
  • Will I ever be able to get even the smallest glimpse of the life I used to have back again?

And yes, I can at least with 100% certainty say that there is hope for people suffering from long term progressive myasthenia that may or may not necessarily be Myasthenia Gravis! In a fluctuating disease like MG the clues given during remission I would think are just as important as those given during flare ups in a disease where 30% are supposed to go into remission. I wish more people who have gone into remission would come by here, out of duty and gratefulness, and post from time to time to give a more balanced picture of the outcome of this disease, and very importantly, like you say, to give hope.

Oddly enough for me, during a time with no detectable symptoms, stress was not able to trigger any myasthenic weakness at all - but heat has done so in such an extreme way - pretty much back to some of the same spots as it left off - except with one increased increment in severity regarding the bulbar issues. I guess it was nice to have hand weakness resolve in 2 weeks instead of 2 years, which is what it took the first time round. As of today, it is just the deltoids that are left to resolve. Always those deltoids! – the first of my muscles ever to be affected with myasthenic weakness all those years ago.

I also do wonder if the heat trigger fluctuates for some people ie. one year heat is a great trigger, but the next it is not. Or is temperature generally a stable trigger….

OK. So I really do hope you will get your thyectomy followed by a wonderful remission. Be careful with those symptoms you are having and I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow and will check in sometime soon to see if you have posted your progress information in another thread.

All my best.

Anacrusis
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (07-23-2013), sandy56 (07-23-2013)