Thread: Expired credits
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLaLa1960 View Post
I've been a stay at home mom for the most part but have worked outside of the home here and there.

Back in 2000 I was diagnosed with two separate conditions, both that could have put me on SSD but I didn't think of going on it at that time.

I managed to work for 2 1/2 years until 1 of my conditions really got bad (heart) and nearly passing out in bathroom at work isn't the best thing to do, from 2009-2011. So I applied for SSD, was told how many credits I needed and I knew I had that many from the SS paper that is sent out. Imagine my surprise when I was told that most of my credits were expired for SSD but not for SS when I turn 67.

I doubt that with my problems I make it to 67. Even though I've been a dependent on my husband's paycheck and filed income tax with him for over 30 years that doesn't help me either.

The kicker? If he files and gets SSD, I'll get half of what he gets whether we're still married or not as long as I'm not remarried.

"Even if we're not married as long as I'm not remarried". Now how is that fair and why am I punished for staying home cooking, cleaning, raising kids and taking care of my family/home 24/7? If my husband didn't pay his taxes they'd come after ME also as long as my name was on his returns.

How crazy this can be.
The way I interpret your comment, your credits expired for disability benefits. Credits for retirement under SS do not expire from what I understand. Once you have earned enough credits for retirement, you are entitled to retirement benefits upon reaching retirement age.

Back to disability. I don't have the rules in front of me but it is my understanding that credits must be earned for 5 out of 10 years prior to your disability. WHEN your credits are earned affects disability benefit rules but NOT retirement benefit rules. Example: You work from age 22 to 42 and earn 80 credits, more than enough for retirement. You quit working at 42 and stay home. At age 52, you return to the workforce and work for a year and then become disabled at age 53. For disability, they look at the prior 10 years credits. You would only have at best, 4 credits, for the year you worked between the age of 42 and 53.

Well, that is how I interpret the rules. I could be wrong and many here will be glad to point that out if I am incorrect.

I hope I have helped respond to the comment as you stated.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote