View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Hope,

I've only heard of extreme fatigue after eating in diabetics going with an elevated blood sugar. I understand that you aren't one for overeating and/or too many carbs, but have you been checking what you post prandial bs's are ?

I've had type II diabetes for a few years. I was totally noncompliant with my diet. Dumb, I know......and I knew the risks, so no lectures necessary for thinking I didn't know any better, but I do deserve those lectures for being a stubborn dummy ! My bs's were usually in the 110 (fasting) to 140/150 (after most meals), but I would have occasional readings of 170-180 and twice I had readings approx. 220 (all after really overindulging). 170 and up I would feel like I would fall asleep sitting/standing up unless I went to lay down asap.

In April 2012, I decided I needed to attempt to get healthier, which included working on my diet (although I still am not perfect and in total compliance with my meal plan, I do now watch what I'm eating 95% of the time) and I'm up to walking 2-5 miles almost every day. Between the weight loss, better eating plan, and exercise, I started having issues with frequent low bs's last fall and got rid of one of my diabetes meds. Now that my fbs's are 80-100 and post prandial bs's stay under 120, I don't feel like it's happy nappy time from those bs's over 170. I do still get that feeling sometimes, though, especially if I cheat with some ice cream, but sometimes when I have been good on my diet. The other day that happened and my bs was "only" 129. My diabetic nurse educator says that when my body was used to being 140 to 150 after most meals, that didn't register to my body as way to high, it felt normal, only those over 170 bs's felt "higher than normal (for me)" Nw that I'm in better control, and I am usually around 100-110 after a meal, 129 can feel too high to my body.

Even if your post prandial bs's aren't crazy high, maybe mild increases are affecting you. It's worth looking at.

Remember too that if you are dehydrated from the hot summer weather, your bs could be higher than normal even if you are eating within your diet plan.

Because the overwhelming fatigue is such a frequent issue for you, my guess is that it's a different problem than the diabetes, but who knows ? Doesn't hurt to get as much info as possible for when you talk to your doc about trying to figure it out. Good luck !

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (07-24-2013)