View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default That's a complex question...

Enough for what? (Are you sure that's mg and not mcg?)

I'm taking 1000 mcg, which is equal to 1 mg., but I'm not taking it for hair loss.

Here's the thing...
Quote:
Hair loss

Although hair loss is a symptom of severe biotin deficiency (see Deficiency), there are no published scientific studies that support the claim that high-dose biotin supplements are effective in preventing or treating hair loss in men or women.
Linus Pauling Institute
Emphasis mine.

All of the hype I've seen regarding biotin and hair loss is coming from sites with something to sell -- supplements, hair products, books, etc. As is often the case, they jump on some small scrap of weak evidence and blow it up into something it's not. There was apparently one small study cited by the University of Maryland Medical Center:
Quote:
Very weak evidence suggests that biotin supplements may improve thin, splitting, or brittle toe and fingernails, as well as hair. Biotin, combined with zinc and topical clobetasol propionate, has also been used to combat alopecia areata in both children and adults.
Emphasis mine.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote