View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Wisdom teeth extraction 9 weeks ago-cheek problem and other issues

Hello,
9 weeks ago my daughter had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed. It was a difficult extraction followed by dry socket.

just when we thought we were on the road to recovery she woke up with pain in her jaw/cheek and a swollen cheek (about 5 plus weeks ago).

She received three courses of antibiotics which seemed to help or cure the infection but the swelling was not a all reduced.

The oral surgeon offered two-or one confusing-explanation of the swelling. First he said it was due to the infection filling up the area that would normally provide a drainage route (for what?) , so instead, whatever should be draining was draining into her cheek and causing the swelling. then he also said that she had a hematoma/blood clot in her cheek and that was causing the swelling (sounds like two different explanations but maybe I am confused-I sought clarity but really did not get any).

Anyhow, today he opened up the gum tissue to get rid of any infection and check for bone fragments-he did not find any signs of infection or bone fragments or anything but still told me he thought it would 'cure ' the swelling.

Of course she is so swollen form this second procedure I can't tell any thing-and he said she would stay swollen for the next 5 days.

Help-what caused the swelling in the first place-why was it not showing any signs of subsiding even after 5 weeks and no real infection left-was it a blood clot or hematoma-is it gone? What are you supposed to do to treat a clot/hematoma-ws it scar tissue-is she going to be always swollen?
Lolla C is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote