View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 02:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I find this to be a funny story

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecarver View Post
I Would like to get some info about dosage and difference between 1 kind as opposed to another
Although, it probably loses a lot in the translation from the Drs Office to the printed page. And I have already told it once or twice.....I have this story that I would like to tell.

First let me say that I totally concur with MrsD on her recommendation and that is what I follow.

The story is that I had been searching for some relief from peripheral neuropathy, small fiber type, for some time and finally was referred to one of the top neurologists in town. The first time I talked with him he asked if maybe I was taking alpha lipoic acid?? I said no and he said that I might want to think about it. In the second meeting (follow-up after all the tests, all negative) he acknowledged that there was no quick fix on the horizon, and realizing that I had chronic pain, brought up the Alpha Lipoic Acid topic again. This time it was in the form of "I really recommend you start taking this, I think it may help you, it has helped other patients of mine."

In fact, he pulled out his laptop and took the time to do a google search for alpha lipoic acid to show me the prices, etc. At that time he explained the difference between alpha lipoic acid and the stabalized R-lipoic acid, recommending it as a more efficient way to take it. Now, I had never had an MD recommend OTC vitamins before so this was unusual and I took the interaction to mean that I really should start taking this. I believe he may have referred to some preliminary evidence (i.e., research studies) as well.

These two interactions were the first time that I had even heard of Lipoic Acid and I was clearly sold on the need to purchase the R form and start taking it right away. Now (in my mind) the funny part. When I asked what dose I should take he said, "it doesn't matter." That was it, just a "it doesn't matter". I took a few quizzical seconds to digest this and then said something intelligent like, "Whaaat?" And he said it again, "it doesn't matter." I thought that was a hoot. In talking more with him, I believe he was saying that there was not enough evidence available to suggest what the effective dose might be, and more importantly than worrying about the dose, I should just start taking it.

As an aside, I started taking 2400 mg a day. I guess that means that I tend to overdo things in the absence of strict guidance. The next time I saw him it was his turn to be amused when I told him how much I was taking. He said something like, "Well, I guess you are giving it a real trial."

Anyway, it is within this context that I find MrsD's guidance to be most welcomed. Thanks MrsD!
amike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (07-24-2013), mrsD (07-24-2013)