View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Compression Socks

Hello,

I have been using compression pants as well as kinesio taping specifically for edema (my doctor refers to this particular way of applying the tape as "spider taping"). The compression pants or thigh wraps work well to control edema - it doesn't ever go away for me but it prevents it from getting worse. For me the edema/swelling being in my thigh makes the pain much worse when I walk because this adds additional 'jiggle' and stimulation to the area causing a huge increase in pain as the day wears on. I have found that although it is painful to put the pants or tape on at first that the continuous pressure throughout the day is much better than having things lightly touch my leg (like with loose fitting pants or a skirt) through the day.. that kind of touch makes the pain escalate very quickly and can send me into a tail spin.

For those who find the typical compression pants to tight you might try a good pair of nylons - they apply lighter pressure but may work well for those who can't handle the tighter styles. REI also has 'leg warmers' made for bicyclists that are very soft on the inside and also provide extra warmth (they are a lifesaver for me since I live in the mountains where low temps really affect my pain level). I like them because then I don't have to wear long johns since I only need the additional warmth in the one leg. They make capri style and full leg ones as well as arm warmers for those that may need that. I plan to place those little heat packs underneath this winter when the snow falls.

The kinesio tape can be applied by your PT person or a good chiro who is trained in this method and can be worn for 3-5 days. Here is a link for more information on Kinesio taping for CRPS/RSD: http://www.rsds.org/pdfsall/kinesio-taping-method.pdf

Again both of these methods do cause some initial discomfort but, if you have lidoderm patches or the voltaren gel or medicated compound cream you can apply these first before using either of the above to make things more bearable in order to hopefully find some relief.

Good luck,
Tessa

Last edited by zookester; 07-24-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: adding link
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote