View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My system doesnt tolerate pain and anticonvulsant meds well either. I always have to cut the lowest dose in half to start with. If the side effects are worse than it helps is it worth it? Some docs say your body has to get accustom to the meds. Personally that didnt sit well with me if I couldnt function or ended up in the ER. Anticonvulsants didnt like moi'. But I know others who it works well for. We are all made differently and have to go thru the process of elimination. Yes, anticonvulsants, pain meds, antidepressants leave you high and dry. Keep hydrated very well.

Havent heard of Neurotin for hot flashes. Normally they prescribe an antidepressant for a short period of time. If you research a bit Antidepressants do work for pain patients. The section of the brain for depression and pain is located next to each other. TMS Transmagnetic Stimultor can also be used for not only depression but for pain if the operator is told to incorporate the pain area. Patient's normally get off most of their meds. Sounds good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl626 View Post
Well, after resisting for 1 1/2 years, I finally am trying neurontin. I was prescribed it for hot flashes and bad sleep of all things and since I have been thinking about it and have been prescribed it for nerve pain I thought I should give it a try. I am trying to get off Lunesta which I have been taking but isnt working for long enough-i can get 5-6 hours of sleep and you cant up the dosage, plus it is not addressing the cause.

They are starting me on a low dose of Neurontin 100mg and then go to 200 mg. This seems so low as compared to most people on the forum. Does everyone start this low? So far it my sleep feels weird. like I am half awake all night. also Dry mouth and a metallic taste . I am hoping it gets better on 200. My doc said I could go up to 300 but that still seems low. They also said dont take the neurontin and the Lunesta at the same time.

Has any other women out there noticed it helping for hot flashes as well?

color="Black">Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch *The 3 Stooges
olecyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote