Thread: MRI results
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalliep View Post
hi everyone, I recently had an MRI and the results are completely foreign to me. I've been doing a lot of research on the net lately to help me understand this.
At L5-S1, there is a mild diffuse disc bulge confined within the epidural fat.
At L4-5 there is a diffuse disc bulge. Additionally there is a small central disc herniation.The disc abnormalities, combined with the degenerative hypertrophy of the ligamenta flava and facet joint creates mild-moderate central spinal stenosis.

I had an epidural last week and so far no relief. I have also been in physical therapy with no relief. I feel like I am on the verge of tears.

Allison
Hi Allison,

I think the good news is that your MRI findings, imaging-wise, are rather mild. I am sorry to hear that the injection did not work so far. Multiple injections may truly be indicated. I assume your ESI was done due to perceived central stenosis for which such injections are less successful than for focal compressive disorder. What is missing hear is exactly where your pain is, what precipitated it, what makes it better/worse, any numbness, tingling or weakness anywhere, exam findings as you understand them, systems review, a whole lot of other stuff, etc...in other words, everything your doc would ask in a history, a detailed synopsis of your chief complaints and clinical findings. They do matter and actually are the basis for ordering an MRI which only confirms a suspected clinical diagnosis based off the above. One really needs to know all of that and more actually, before any sense can be made out of your MRI findings. Some studies show that 25-40% of visualized abnormalities (age dependent) on an MRI are not symptomatic. Your clinician that ordered the study is in the best position to explain it's significance! Good luck!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote