View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftyourhands7 View Post
I have another question about BMS I am post menopausal and have SFN, could my BMS be from one or the other or both of these conditions? If its from SFN could it get better and do you think R-Lpoic could help?
The short answer is YES -- to SFN, and RLA (see below).
This does not mean other causes are not possible.
I don't see how menopause, in and of itself, could cause BMS.

Trigeminal small-fiber sensory neuropathy causes burning mouth syndrome.

The above information is quoted multiple times in the following link:

burning mouth syndrome small fiber neuropathy

Quote:
Drug therapy with alpha lipoic acid, clonazepam, capsaicin, and antidepressants may provide symptom relief. .... Short term follow up data is promising, however, long term prognosis with treatment is lacking.
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v19/i5/665.htm
Quote:
Prognosis

BMS is benign (importantly, it is not a symptom of oral cancer), but as a cause of chronic pain which is poorly controlled, it can detriment quality of life, and may become a fixation which cannot be ignored, thus interfering with work and other daily activities.[13] Two thirds of people with BMS have a spontaneous partial recovery six to seven years after the initial onset, but in others the condition is permanent.[5][17] Recovery is often preceded by a change in the character of the symptom from constant to intermittent.[17] No clinical factors predicting recovery have been noted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnin...rome#Prognosis
I think that this is reason to remain hopeful. Six to seven years can also bring about new information/treatments.

I have not seen anything to suggest complete/permanent loss of taste or smell.

I don't advocate withholding anything from doctors, even if/when there isn't much they can do. They still need to know what's going on; the doctor/patient relationship is based on trust, and trust is based (at least in part) on communication.

Quote:
When to see a doctor

If you have discomfort, burning or soreness of your tongue, lips, gums or other areas of your mouth, see your doctor or dentist. They may need to work together to help pinpoint a cause and develop an effective treatment plan.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bur...CTION=symptoms
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (07-29-2013)